News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Why are we (still) waiting ......

Started by FrankS, July 31, 2008, 03:36:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

FrankS

Hi all,
To quote an old British Army song ~ "Oh, why are we waiting, oh, why do we wait ..............." ;D

The French Voie Metrique website,see :
http://narrow-gauge.org/en/album/album.aspx?Id=330

managed to post photos of the new On30 Bachmann items while the Anaheim show was still on ~ almost two weeks after it finished the Bach Man STILL hasn't managed to post any photos of them taken at Anaheim !
:o :o :o

SURELY, the time for secrecy is now past !!!

Cheers,
FrankS,
Tasmania,
Australia

Dusten Barefoot

I just hope the steel cab ten wheeler will have all 3 window's open :). If not I think I might need to get out some tin cutters, and snip out the ugly plate. ::). Make it more ET&WNCish.
Dusten
I know I pester the hell out of everone over a 4-6-0
E.T.&.W.N.C, TWEETSIE, LINVILLE.
www.tweetsierailroad.com
http://www.johnsonsdepot.com/crumley/tour1.htm
#12 and 10-Wheelers
Black River & Southern
Rock On & Live Strong
Dusten

Mike Bellamy

Quote from: FrankS on July 31, 2008, 03:36:08 AM
the Bach Man STILL hasn't managed to post any photos of them taken at Anaheim !

Frank

Take a look at the Photo Gallery (link is at the top of the page) Details for the OF 4-4-0 and the Railbus were added on 16th July - but nothing about the new 4-6-0

Mike

C.S.R.R. Manager

FrankS, I got curious about the sizes of the new Bachmann locos too.  I found side drawings of the prototypes online, from members of the On30 Conspiracy, and they had dimensions, which allowed me to print them to 1:48 scale.  Then I started photographing different Bachmann locos in front of the prints, to compare size.

Keep in mind, these are prints of the prototype drawings, and not the Bachmann models.  There is also some perspective distortion with the camera used, so these are general guides.  The Bach-Man's photos will be much more accurate.

http://picasaweb.google.com/Gresham.Media/LocoComps

Things that I found interesting:
- The new OF 4-4-0 is bigger than the IF 4-4-0, and about the same length as the Mogul.
- The 4-6-0 is longer than even the 2-8-0.  The driver size and spacing is very close to the Mogul, so the "rigid wheelbase" is about the same.
- The height of the 4-6-0 is about the same as the other locos.

Manager

Hamish K

CSRR manager

In the case of the 4-6-0 we know the prototype as it is the same as the large Scale loco. With the OF 4-4-0 it has been assumed the prototype is the surviving EFOM Brazilian loco - but I am not sure that Bachman has confirmed this. Perhaps the Bach Man can comment on the prototype? While the model does look a lot like the Brazilian one, these were standard Baldwin designs and there were probably other similar, but not necessarily identical, locomotives. Or it could be a "catalogue" design. The exact prototype, if not the EFOM one, could alter the comparison with the IF 4-4-0. I did admire the comparisons you did and found them very interesting and wothwhile, but in relation to the 4-4-0 I agree we need to wait to see the Bach Man's photos before jumping to too many conclusions..

One other point of interest for the Bach Man to comment on - was the OF 4-4-0 planned together with the IF 4-4-0 i.e was it always intended to release both versions?

Hamish

C.S.R.R. Manager

Agreed, Hamish.  I tried to be clear that I was just slinging pixels, and didn't have any confirmed info.  But I also did compare the 4-4-0 drawings with the photos from our spies, and it looks like a really close match.  Really close...

Manager