News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

E-Z mate couplers vs. McHenry, Kadee, etc.

Started by Rashputin, August 01, 2008, 01:59:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jbrock27

Rob, how many cars are you pulling when this happens?

I don't disagree that KADEES are the gold standard, but I have not found problems with EZ Mate Mark IIs or McHenry's, but I am not pulling more than 12 cars at a time.

On side note, I also picked up a good tip here about putting a dab of CA glue on the coupler spring where it slides over the nub on the shank side of the coupler.  I did not realize, this should be the GEL kind of glue, not the liquid as the liquid will wick to other moving parts of the knuckle and ruin the operation of the coupler.  Duh on my part.  Live and learn I guess.  

Doc, with regard to concerns having a short from a KADEE metal coupler, if you install them using KADEE's plastic draft gear box, the box is insulated to prevent shorts.  I can't tell you how many times I have read it written about concern for using KADEES on Athearn locos for fear of shorting when running them in a consist.  The concern is unfounded if a KADEE draft gear box is used.   The # is 242.
Keep Calm and Carry On

rogertra

While I do agree that Kadees are the gold standard, no offence implied Mr. B., I to have a mix of EZ Mate, usually the ones left on locos and few other brands mixed in on the freight cars and have no trouble with my 20+ car freight trains.  And that's with the EZ Mates taking all the load on the locomotive(s).

I usually leave the knuckles provided with Bachmann et al locos in situ as the "If it ain't broke, don't fix it" rule applies.  So far, EZ Mates are holding up.  :)

Cheers

Roger T.

ACY

Am I the only one that noticed this thread is from 2008?

rogertra

Quote from: ACY on August 12, 2014, 02:42:48 PM

Never noticed.  :)

Wonder if the original poster's computer date is way out.  It's surprising how many people have no idea how to adjust anything on their computers, from something as simple as adjusting the date though video settings and file and folder management let along making adjustments to settings within programs like video games.

Cheers

Roger T.

ebtbob

Good Evening all,

Pardon my laziness for not having read all the previous posts here.   While I agree in general with the use of Kadee couplers,   I also use the Bachmann EZ Mate II,  especially on my On30 equipment.   There is one basic reason.   For a reason I do not understand,  the coupler boxes on most of the Bachmann equipment I own in both HO and On30 are more shallow than ones from other manufactures.   For me to equip my Bachmann rolling stock and engines with all Kadees  I would have to build up or replace the boxes that come from the factory.    That being said,  I have only ever broken one of my EZ Mate II couplers and that was my absent mindedness.    I was not paying attention and managed to ram into a drywall screw used to protect a stub end siding in a hidden storage yard.
Bob Rule, Jr.
Hatboro, Pa
In God We Trust
Not so much in Congress
GATSME MRRC - www.gatsme.org

jward

Quote from: ACY on August 12, 2014, 02:42:48 PM
no you are not. I have often wondered what makes people reach back years in the archives to find posts to respond to. the original poster has most likely not visited this forum in years.....
Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA

jbrock27

Why does that matter. to anyone?  Does it create some sort of problem?
Keep Calm and Carry On