Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Heavyweight cars turn radius

Started by Yarm35, March 06, 2007, 02:44:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Yarm35

Mr. Bachman

What is best minimum radius for HO ( 80’) heavyweight cars?:

1.   I presently use 18” radius curves (HO) for our Christmas village setup.  Would like to add a train composed of “heavyweight” Pullman cars.  Have four cars now and 18” radius is obviously too tight for them.  What is recommended radius to use?  I can lay up to 30 inch radius, but would prefer to use smaller radius, say 24 or 26 inches.

2.   Where can I find how many sections of HO EZ track it takes to complete a curve for various radii?

3.    What/which steam engine(I do not use DCC) would you recommend for this train? (Eventually approximately eight heavyweight cars)

Thank you
Yarm35

Jake

I would recomend either a 2-10-0 (DCC Ready, No decoder) or a 2-8-0 (DCC Equipped, just unscrew the tender shell and unplug the black decoder from the circuit board and insert the dummy plugs in the holes specified) for a locomotive. and as for thurn radii i would recomend atleast 22" radius for trouble free operation but if you REALLY want it to look SUPER prototypical the go with 24" or more. Hope this helps.
Co Admin/Founder of the North American Narrow Gauge Modelers!
http://www.getphpbb.com/phpbb/northamericanna.html
www.myspace.com/vfb1210

JIMMY!! HAFF AR LODE JUST DROPPED LOOS!!!

JM

Although an 18" radius doesn't make for prototypical looking operation of heavy weight passenger cars, they will negotiate an 18" radius, are you palnning to run a circle of track under the tree?  if so, 18" is best....any bigger and it will certainly be sticking out so far that it will inevitably get stepped on.

SteamGene

You can go to 22", but 24" would be better.  Staying with Bachmann locomotives, any of the Bachmann 4-8-4s would be appropriate.  You can use the PRR K-4 for Pennsy cars or reletter it for N&W and that would work.  Also, and I think perhaps the best choice, the Bachmann USRA Mountains.  Both the 2-10-0 and the 2-8-0 were primarily freight locos.  A high boiler 4-6-0 would also work on a shorter train.
If you go to other companies, any 4-6-2, 4-8-2, or 4-8-4 would work fine.
Gene
Chief Brass Hat
Virginia Tidewater and Piedmont Railroad
"Only coal fired steam locomotives"

Yarm35

Thanks for the information.  Gives me an idea, at least, of what radius I should use... sounds like the 24" is the minimum I should use.

The layout is in shape of an 'L' - outside leg measurements are 15' and legs are 8' thick.... other words, about 200 sq ft. 

There are four levels with two On30 on the lower level and two HO on the second level.  There is a DeWitt Clinton also in the rear on the lower level... lots of tunnels, houses, circus rides, trees, also two street cars.  people, etc....

Bottom line, there isn't a lot of room for expansion (new train will go on a level between lowest and second level) so will have to do some rebuilding.  So need all the ideas and info I can get so I can draw it out before I start messing with it.

Its Just a Christmas decorating  idea that got out of control.  We now turn the whole room into a Christmas room - the tree has a 'G' scale Christmas train under it.

Goes up in November and down the end of Janurary.

Bottom

johndmuller

I don't know that EZ-track comes in 24 in radius, but then again you may not be using the EZ-track anyway.  If you are talking about large locomotives, the loco may be the limiting factor around the turns rather than the heavyweights.

I have a similar concern about heavyweight cars - my interest is in running a 2-track main around  the outside of a room or two.  I was planning on using crossover switches in various locations, said crossovers which seem to have a 2.5 inch spacing between the tracks.  What radius of curves work with these and also with the heavyweight cars around the 90 degree corners?

Hunt

Quote from: Yarm35 on March 06, 2007, 02:44:00 PM
2.   Where can I find how many sections of HO EZ track it takes to complete a curve for various radii?

The HO E-Z Track curve radius
15" -- 12 pieces make a circle
18" -- 12
22" -- 16
26" -- 20
28" -- 20
33.25" -- 20
35.5" -- 20

(Since trains are steered by track they do not have a turn radius. Appropriate term is curve radius.)

Mike

Make that last one
35.5 "  20 sections

That's what happens with "late night" postings!- MS

Yarm35

Thanks again for the info.... now looks like I will be moving to 26" in the EZ track.    Sorry for the termnalogy gaff.... of course the radius refers to the curve.

Anybody have any experience with the BLI sound cars.... might add to the display for the kids.   (remember I am running DC not DCC.

For JnM:  I too have been thinking about crossovers between two lines... but since I want everything automatic would have to do it by sensor driven blocking.  Check NMRA site for turnout clearance.

Yarm35

Hunt

For info about BLI stock cars click http://www.broadway-limited.com/products/k7stockcar.htm

The cars are in Broadway’s entry line.
Hog is the better sound of the choices.

(Thanks Mike for the heads-up on my typo)

Yarm35

Been there, done that....  I apologize for not being precise posting my question.

Was looking for any additional info on how they sound while actually running and how loud they are?   (E.g. How far away can you hear them?)  They sound great on computer but suspect site is engineered to produce best sound quality.  Also wondered if there were any problems with operation or reliabiliity?

Was considering adding more than one to our display.  Would there be mutual interference?

Thanks again for taking an interest.

yarm35