News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Bachmann's E-Z Command Control

Started by WGL, August 07, 2008, 02:56:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

WGL

The train person at the "local" (60 miles round-trip) hobby shop tried to sell me Digitrax Zephyr "entry level" DCC.  DCC seemed very complicated & the price of $180 made me gulp.  HO Scale Model Railroading recommends wiring it at least every 3'!  Reading recently here about Bachmann's E-Z Command Control, which costs less than half Digitrax, & now having a DCC locomotive, I am reconsidering.
  Does Plug & Play mean that I could plug the E-Z C C into the Power-Loc terminal track where my DC power pack is presently connected?
  If I could get sound installed in my Spectrum SD-45, would the DCC enable me to honk the horn when I want?  I heard the Union Pacific go by 3 times today, honking.  :)

Yampa Bob

I hesitate to recommend any brand of DCC controller, it's your money and you have to buy what you can afford. The Digitrax Zephyr is highly recommended by several  members on this board, and they will probably encourage you to take out a second mortgage on the house and go for the more full featured controller. 

The EZ Command is possibly the simplest and least expensive "entry level" controller.  I have it and it suits me fine, as I have neither the desire or patience to fiddle with CVs. Just disconnect your DC pack and hook the EZ Command to the track terminals. (Never have both DC and DCC power connected to the track at the same time)

The EZ Command has limited sound control, meaning you can "honk your horn" but you won't  be able to tailor the sound to your preference.  Functions 1 through 8 will control various sounds available on the decoder.  Function 10 will turn lights on or off.  The instruction manual is short and simple, only 7 pages, so you can be up and running in a short time.  

I'll let someone else comment about the Zephyr, and about powering the track every 3 feet, seems like overkill to me. On my 4 X 8 I only have 3 power connections, one for the outside loop, one for the inside, and one for the yard, haven't had any problems.
I know what I wrote, I don't need a quote
Rule Number One: It's Our Railroad.  Rule Number Two: Refer to Rule Number One.

eddie

bonjour,
The B'mann's E-Z command is a great affordable system.
But the problem is, It's not very expandable, and won't "grow" as your layout get's bigger.
But, if you have a limited room with a limited budget, That might be a great system for you.
Another system you might want to look into, is the NCE powercab.
It's easier to use than the Zephyr, and allows you to expand as your layout grows.
I use Digitrax and if it weren't for my friends help, I would have no idea on using it's full features.
hope that helps :)
tot ziens,
GB

Santa Fe buff

It's okay, now Bachmann has the E-Z command Dynamis!
- Joshua Bauer

hgcHO

E-Z command as per Bob, good review then there is S F buff reply - and to check this Dynamis out go to:

"Model Railroad News" review August 08 issue pg. 74.  In fact the "Model Railroad News" is running several issues on DCC systems, Part 3 in the August issue also.

Report back on your choice or progress - Good luck.

HGC

WGL

Thanks for your comments.  I have a Spectrum SD-45 with DCC for my freight train & a Walthers F7 DC for my passenger train (which I will replace with a better locomotive someday).  I looked up the manual for E-Z Command online & saw that it can run both trains & I can plug my DC power pack into the E-Z DCC.  I have a 38' oval layout.  I plan to add a concentric oval in order to run both trains simultaneously.  I want to connect them with a right & left switch for the option of running one on both ovals.
My wife is generous, but even she is beginning to exclaim at the money I'm spending just to get started.  :-\  All I want to do is run two trains & "hear that lonesome whistle blow."
  I can't find Model Railroad News here, but I just signed up at their website for 3 free issues.

Guilford Guy

The EZ Command is a good starting system. It can run 9 addressed DCC locos, and 1 DC Loco. It should be fine until you want more features, mobility, or to run more locomotives.
Alex

Santa Fe buff

Quote from: Guilford Guy on August 08, 2008, 04:07:32 AM
The EZ Command is a good starting system. It can run 9 addressed DCC locos, and 1 DC Loco. It should be fine until you want more features, mobility, or to run more locomotives.
You know, I'll look into one, they sound so nice. After all, it's just a 4x8 layout, noting specail so why not?
- Joshua Bauer

Yampa Bob

You cannot plug your DC power pack into the EZ Command in any way.  EZ Command has it's own power supply, and you must use it only.

EZ Command does not have accessory terminals.  You will need to hook remote turnouts and other accessories to the AC terminals of your DC pack. 

Jim Banner

I use both Digitrax, including the Zephyr, and Bachmann E-Z Command.  For a simple layout where you want to run 2 or 3 trains by yourself, the E-Z Command is definitely easier to set up and use.  And it is cheaper.  Not only is the initial cost lower, but the way it is designed makes it quick and easy to switch the throttle (speed and direction controls) from one train to another.  All it takes is one press of one button to transfer control.  The Zephyr requires a sequence of key strokes to do the same thing so most people add extra throttles to it so that they can have a throttle dedicated to each of the running trains.

The big advantage of the Zephyr is that is can program everything in the decoder that can be programmed.  The E-Z Command can program addresses and very little else.  When you buy a locomotive with a sound decoder already installed, the sounds come programmed as the installer sees fit.  If the choices made by the installer suit you, then you do not have to change anything and the E-Z Command will play the sounds when you push the buttons.   However, if you want to change the sounds, and if you install your own decoders you undoubtedly will want to, then you need to be able to program much more than just the address.  Then you either have to own and know how to operate a more complete system like the Zephyr or you have to hire the programming done for you.  If you are having someone install a sound decoder for you, then make sure that the price includes programming the sound system.  With luck, you may find a local modeller who will install decoders and is willing to have you work with him to get the sound programmed exactly the way you like it.

Installing wiring every 3 feet is nonsense.  It would apply only if you were using 3 foot lengths of track, no soldered rail joiners, and a high powered DCC booster.  Under these conditions, you would have to have feeders (wires to the track) every 9 inches if you used sectional track.  With lower power outputs, like the 1.5 amp output of the E-Z Command or the 2.5 amp output of the Zephyr, a faulty rail joiner will not get so hot that it melts the track.  So yes, it is possible to just connect it to your track and be immediately in business.

I see there is still some confusion about hooking dc power packs to the E-Z Command.  There is one dc power pack that can be plugged into the E-Z Command, the Bachmann #44212 power pack.  See page 6 of the E-Z Command manual.  You would only need to do this if you had 10 DCC equipped locomotives and wanted to free up a 10th address or if you wanted two separate throttles, one for DCC locomotives and one for dc locomotives.  What you cannot do is connect any other power source, including power packs, command stations and boosters, to the tracks when the tracks are connected to the output of the E-Z Command.  This is explained on page 7 of the manual.

Accessories, such as turnout (switch) motors, building lights, animation and so forth need their own power source separate from the command station, whether it be E-Z Command, Zephyr, or another brand.  You can use an old power pack for this or you can buy a "wall wart" type supply rated about 12 volts ac or dc at about 1 amp.  If you use a wall wart, I suggest fusing it for safety, using a fuse no larger than the wall wart's rated output. 
Growing older is mandatory but growing up is optional.

WGL

Thanks, Guilford Guy.
  Thanks, Jim Banner, for the detailed help from your experience.  I thought I could plug my Walthers power pack into the E-Z command (using it as the power source), but not plug the Walthers into an electrical socket.  I was told I could plug my DC power pack into a Digitrax Zephyr.  I'm don't know whether my DC locomotive would then be run by E-Z Command or I would still use the control on the Walters power pack.   I see I'd have to use the two transformers separately, if I wanted the Walthers' AC output to power an accessory.
  At present, all I'd like a DCC control to do is run 2 trains for direction & speed & blow the horn, if my locomotive has sound.

hgcHO

Jim has given great information. 

I can only add that I use the simple command controller to handle 2 DCC engines  and one DC plus I use this same command controller to handle my turnouts,  three right  44131 and four left 14130.  Very simple to program.  Headlights on the DCC engines  # 10 - no horn on my units though.

I do not know if the command controller will give you a horn i.e. if engine had this capability. Maybe Jim can confirm this.

HGC    good luck with your horn!

Yampa Bob

There seems to be much erroneous information floating around regarding running DC and DCC locomotives simultaneously, sadly some of this is coming from the dealers.

I have a very strict policy about running my locomotives, others can do as they please.

1.  I run my DC (DCC ready) locomotives only on DC power.  I can double head in any orientation I choose.  Since I have a double loop, I sometimes run one DC loco on the inside loop, another on the outside loop.

2.  I can alternately run two Bachmann decoder equipped locomotives the same way on DC power, or run one DCC equipped and one DCC ready loco at the same time.  For that matter, I can even run my little UP 119, which I do not intend to add a decoder. It's mostly for display, but I like to keep it limbered up.

3.  When the track is powered by DCC (EZ Command), I run ONLY decoder equipped locomotives. I will not run any DC or DCC ready loco on DCC power. The manual gives a caution about doing so, to me that translates as DON'T DO IT.

All my Bachmann locos are DCC equipped.  My 4 Roundhouse old timers are DCC ready, and I have the Digitrax plug in decoders for them.  Once the decoders are installed, I will probably switch over to DCC power exclusively.  The only purpose for the old pack is to control turnouts, or test new DCC ready locomotives with DC power.

Let's face it, strictly DC locomotives, at least in HO Spectrum quality are obsolete. With DCC equipped locos, I have a choice of DC or DCC power with no fuss or worry.

Again, this is only my policy.

Santa Fe buff

Quote from: Yampa Bob on August 08, 2008, 08:27:06 PM
You cannot plug your DC power pack into the EZ Command in any way.  EZ Command has it's own power supply, and you must it only.

EZ Command does not have accessory terminals.  You will need to hook remote turnouts and other accessories to the AC terminals of your DC pack. 
Does Atlas make remote turnouts? I use my E-Z track for elevated pieces, and Atlas track for lower sections, it should be a good idea with smooth grades and the fact the E-Z track is capable with standard track. Oh, and that statement that you've said, not in relation, but it made me think, I think I'll uproot my Power-Loc track. This is should be a very good idea, (considering that it was siting in a garage unused for 5+ years), I would like a bridge, but my old one is too out of shape and/or broken. (Condition unknown until further notice.) My uncle gave me a Bachmann bridge set which I plan to paint and weather before assembling.

EZ Command does not have accessory terminals. You will need to hook remote turnouts and other accessories to the AC terminals of you DC pack.

In that case, I'll keep my good Life-Like DC power pack for my track, but I'll need to strip the wire for the current stock header is designed for the Power-Loc only track. I'll just strip it and use it for a simple Atlas terminal. My second DC power pack is damaged from use, shame too, only 3 years old. I think caused by a short; over heating it during operation. I never liked that Power-Loc track 100%.
- Joshua Bauer

Jhanecker2

Yes Santa Fe buff Atlas does make remote turnouts .  They make them in two track Codes : 100 & 83 .  These numbers refer to the height of the track in thousandths of an inch .  In code 100  they make a right  & left turnout , also in their custom line they make # 4 right , left and wye ;  and  #6 right & left .  In code 83 they also make  # 8 right & left as well as the others. One difference is that the switch machines are purchased seperately and they come in right & left as well . They also have switch machines for under table mounting.  Some form of road bed material ( cork or rubber membrane ) will be necessary to cushion the track .   I have a limited amount of Power-Lock track  myself  and  will probably use it  for storage spurs.  Just being frugal ,
(cheap)