News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Soundchipping a Stewart DS 4-4-1000

Started by jon grant 4472, March 03, 2007, 06:30:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jon grant 4472

Here is my most recent project - adding sound to a Stewart/Bowser DS-4-4-1000. Although it isn't a Bachmann product, I hope it gives some idea as to where to fit the decoder and speaker in some of the smaller diesel models.

Since I have no idea what a Baldwin engine sounded like I fitted one of the new Soundtraxx DSD101LC decoders with 1st gen EMD motor sounds and a 1" oval speaker(8 ohm).

Here is an unmodified chassis block and circuit board with 8-pin plug.

I cut away much of the front chassis weight to lower it to the same height as the rear weight - ie just above the worm gear housing.

I also stripped out the circuit board and cut the plastic holding lugs from the motor housing.

After adding some lead above the motor as a heat sink, I wired up the sound decoder, using the salvaged resistors from the circuit board for the LEDs.

The speaker is fully enclosed in a baffle made of plastic sheet and all holes are sealed with Squadron putty. the LED for the front light has been taped to the top of the baffle.

I have managed to fit everything under the loco's hood so as not to mess up the detailled cab interior at all, something I was keen to avoid.

Jon
Modelling HO in the UK

My Blog

My Videos

My Railimages

Nigel

Hi Jon;

Nice work.

A Baldwin does not sound anything like an EMD.  Baldwin switchers had in line 6 or 8 cylinder 4 stroke diesel engine, some of the 6 cylinder ones had turbochargers.  The engines were very low rpm marine based units.  EMD switchers typically had V12 two stroke diesel engines, with a max rpm around 1000-1100. 

LokSound has Baldwin sound units, I do not know about SoundTraxx. 

Given that Bowser now offers sound chassis for thier Stewart F units, with LokSound, I expect that the other locomotives in thier line are not far behind, if the F unit sound chassis are successful.
Nigel
N&W 1950 - 1955

FFJOHNL312

Nigel:
Soundtraxx has been promising for some time to do a Baldwin decoder, but with the LokSound available, who knows.
Jon:
Excellent work. If you made the DSD-101LC fit into this sucker, you can make the LokSound fit. Only downside of course, is the price. Besides, as they say, there's a prototype for everything. Repowering a Baldwin with an EMD 567 would not be out of the question, so what the heck.

John Loesch
DGLE? We don't need no stinkin' DGLE!

jon grant 4472

I repainted the DS-4-4-1000 into Erie colours before taking some video.

It still needs some dullcoat and a bit more weathering to hide the marks round the decals, but that's a minor job.

Jon
Modelling HO in the UK

My Blog

My Videos

My Railimages

jon grant 4472

Modelling HO in the UK

My Blog

My Videos

My Railimages