News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Tender swapout

Started by jaas6uvk, March 06, 2007, 07:03:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SteamGene

Robin,
I think you are about the 2000th steam fan to mention this.  Let me add that standardization by ALL companies in the new, modern steam should be done.  We had it in the bad old days.  I had no problem modernizing Powerhouse USRA light Mikes by putting Rivarossi Vanderbilt and long haul rectangular tenders behind them and the same way with a Bowser USRA light Mountain.  I have a PFM C&0 H-6 that is a VT&P A-1 with a Rivarossi tender, but Bachmann, Life-Like, new Rivarossi, BLI, and Athearn are not swap and play, to include having to play "Draw bar, draw bar, who has the draw bar?"!
So much quality; so little co-operation.
Gene
Chief Brass Hat
Virginia Tidewater and Piedmont Railroad
"Only coal fired steam locomotives"

Atlantic Central

Gene,

I agree and understand, but, none of the parts on my Ford will fit my neighbors Chevy. And that is a reality of manufcaturing that is not likely to change.

Sheldon

SteamGene

Sheldon, that is very true of Chevys and Fords.  But there are various after market items which will fit both.  Point of fact, a PFM tender will work on an Oriental locomotive.  A Rivarossi Hudson can be in front of a United tender. 
There is no reason why there cannot be a standard loco-tender connection, just like there used to be. If we can have an NMRA standard eight plug DCC connector, we sure could have an NMRA standard DCC capable loco/tender connection.  I'm sure that if NMRA did that companies would be willing to come up with a retro fit which they could sell or even sell and install.
Gene
Chief Brass Hat
Virginia Tidewater and Piedmont Railroad
"Only coal fired steam locomotives"

Atlantic Central

Again, I agree, but the days of those interchangeable tenders were the days of a "standard" propulsion/control system and before the need/desire for large numbers of electrical wires between the engine and tender.

You know it would have been too much to ask for any of these guys to tell the otherside what they where planning next. And all NMRA standards are after effects of incompatablity. That too is never thought out before a bunch of stuff is manufactured.

I have actually converted several locos to the Bachmann wiring in the process of putting Bachmann tenders behind them. Athearn 2-8-2 and Mantua 4-4-2, in particular.

Sheldon