News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Cinder Application to Spectrum steam engines

Started by Jake, March 06, 2007, 07:47:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jake

I just got my J-2 4-8-2 with flying pumps and Vanderbilt tender (runs GREAT, and if you saw my last thread, I dont have to swap out lights! came with amber ones installed!) And i also recieved the bag of cinders. Now I know I need a Dilution of white glue and water, but what ratio woud be good? Please and thankyou!!
Co Admin/Founder of the North American Narrow Gauge Modelers!
http://www.getphpbb.com/phpbb/northamericanna.html
www.myspace.com/vfb1210

JIMMY!! HAFF AR LODE JUST DROPPED LOOS!!!

Nigel

1:1 is okay - it is not critical.

First "wet" the cinders and underlying support with a mist of 70% isopropyl alcohol.
Nigel
N&W 1950 - 1955

Jake

Im assuming that is to keep the glue from drying if it gets on the cylinders or valve cranks?

And this may sound a little stupid but would 70% ethyl alchohol work or do i need isopropyl? And one last thing, when you say 70% do you mean 70% alchol 30% water or the mixture rating on the bottle?
Co Admin/Founder of the North American Narrow Gauge Modelers!
http://www.getphpbb.com/phpbb/northamericanna.html
www.myspace.com/vfb1210

JIMMY!! HAFF AR LODE JUST DROPPED LOOS!!!

SteamGene

Keep it away from the cylinders and valves.  That stuff is huge for cinders and really might be best served making the coal load a bit more realistic.  One part water to one part Elmer's.  Might want to add a drop of dish washer detergent.
Gene
Chief Brass Hat
Virginia Tidewater and Piedmont Railroad
"Only coal fired steam locomotives"

Bill Baker

Jake,

I believe 70% isopropol alcohol refers to the contents in the bottle itself.  It's 70% alcohol and 30% distilled water...but I will yield this statement to some of our resident chemists if this isn't correct.  You can buy it in any drug store. And let me reaffirm what Gene said..."keep it away from the cylinders and valves."
Bill

Virginian

Alcohol promotes the wicking action of the glue/water mixture, and dries quickly, and doesn't hurt anything on our models.  70% refers to the alcohol concentration in the bottle.  You could use ethanol and take a snort if you care to, but isopropyl is widely available and much cheaper.
"What could have happened... did."