How goes the "Free the 2in Straights!" Project?

Started by Len, August 15, 2008, 08:32:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Len

Been away a while, and just wondered if there's any word of late whether the 2in straights will ever be made available without having to add another 90deg crossing to the junk box to get them?

Len
If at first you don't succeed, throw it in the spare parts box.

Joe Satnik

Dear Len,

I know the Bach-Man was on our side a few years ago, though I know that often he's just the messenger.

"Why cut into the 90 degree crossing sales?" must be the reason given by the bean counters.   

The new layout book not even mentioning the 2" straights is a kick in the pants, though.  It's a critical piece for closing gaps.

Same problem exists with the G track 90 degree crossing.  The complete/uncut half straights that are included would be nice as a separate sale item.

Here's how to free up a dozen (12) of those 2" straights: 

Convince someone to buy the track and let you build them a "demolition derby" double figure eight layout using 22" and 26" curves.

It all fits perfectly together on a 123" by 54" area.  Recipe on request.

Alternatively, a double figure eight using 18" and 22" curves fits perfectly together on a 103" by 46" area. Recipe on request. 

This however, only frees up 4 of the 2" straights.  You can get four 2" straights just by tossing 1 crossing in the junk drawer. 

I suppose you could use the crossing itself in a hidden area as a 2" straight, since it is 2" long.

FT2"S !!!  (Keep your head up, it could happen some day !)

Sincerely,

Joe Satnik

Edit: added "Dear Len".  

If your loco is too heavy to lift, you'd better be able to ride in, on or behind it.

Guilford Guy

Alex

Len

Quote from: Joe Satnik on August 15, 2008, 12:16:19 PM
Dear Len,

I know the Bach-Man was on our side a few years ago, though I know that often he's just the messenger.

"Why cut into the 90 degree crossing sales?" must be the reason given by the bean counters.   

The new layout book not even mentioning the 2" straights is a kick in the pants, though.  It's a critical piece for closing gaps.

<snip demo derby tip for brevity>

FT2"S !!!  (Keep your head up, it could happen some day !)

Sincerely,
Joe Satnik

Thanks Joe,

I don't know too many folks into demo derby with trains though.

I use RR-Track to try and come up with EZ-Track layout ideas, and I'm constantly running into the 2in gap problem on relatively simple layouts.

You'd think someone would point out to Bachmann's 'bean counters' that Atlas includes a 4-pack of 2in straights in their True-Track line, and they sell very well at my LHS.

You might even think someone at Atlas used their RTS software to play around with True-Track layouts and noticed the same thing regarding 2in straights, and thought it would be a good idea to make them available.

Don't think I'll hold my breath waiting for Bachmann to get a clue though.

Len
If at first you don't succeed, throw it in the spare parts box.

hgcHO

Bach-man can pass the word on and it will get louder the longer this thread goes.

I put my request in for the 2" straights here.......X

any one else?

HGC

Joe Satnik

Len,

Thanks for the reply.  No demolition of trains?  You must have never seen the Addam's Family TV show.  I bet I could sell a double figure 8 to Gomez, Pugsly and Uncle Fester. 

GG Alex,

Your graphic cracks me up every time I see it.  Excellent work.  You really took the ball and ran with it.   

HGC,

Thanks for your interest and support.

Now if we can get every HO and On30 poster to sign off with FT2"S, we might get their attention.

Again, thanks.

Free the 2" Straights !!

Joe Satnik

If your loco is too heavy to lift, you'd better be able to ride in, on or behind it.

Santa Fe buff

Dear All,
   I think that 2" tracks are very important to a layout. I agree. But I won't take much space for my typing:

DUE TO THE NEED OF 2" STRAIGHT TRACK PIECES ALONE, I BELIEVE BACHMANN SHOULD INDEED SELL 2" STRAIGHTS ALONE, FOR THEY ARE NEEDED.

FREE THE 2" STRAIGHTS

I love to use the glow...

I don't take sides, I just think it's a good idea, but if Bachmann decides not to do so, I won't protest.

Sincerely,
   Josh B.
- Joshua Bauer

Jim Banner

As one who cuts and splices E-Z Track to make my own odd ball lengths, I am not too worried about the lack of 2" pieces.  But I believe the Bachmann bean counters should be.

If Brand A sells 2" pieces and Brand B does not, even though their track systems are about identical, then people needing 2" pieces will tend to buy Brand A.  And if Brand A will not mate with Brand B, then those buyers needing 2" pieces will be very strongly encouraged to buy only Brand A.  So the question the bean counters should be asking is not about how little profit their company makes by selling 2" pieces.  The question they should be asking is how much profit is their company losing on the whole E-Z Track line by not selling 2" pieces.
Growing older is mandatory but growing up is optional.

SteamGene

While I only use EZ-Track for the Christmas train, I, too see the need for two inch straights and agree with Jim, that a minor thing like that can create a large loss.

Let me remind those of you of a conservative nature, that marching around chanting "Free the 2 inch Straights" might make the casual observer think you have become a revolutionary, or at least a liberal.  :D
Gene
Chief Brass Hat
Virginia Tidewater and Piedmont Railroad
"Only coal fired steam locomotives"

Terry Toenges

Size DOES matter!
Smaller is better!
It you ain't got 2's, you ain't got no clues!
Got the blues 'cause you ain't got the 2's?
The 2" liberation front!
We march on Philly at sunrise. Two inches at a time!
;D ;D ;D
Feel like a Mogul.

SteamGene

It you ain't got 2's, you ain't got no clues!
Got the blues 'cause you ain't got the 2's?

It you ain't got 2's, you ain't got clues!
Got the blues 'cause you ain't got 2's?

Scansion is the ansa.  :)
Gene
Chief Brass Hat

Yampa Bob

Well, scansion this youse 2s guys.

(Chorus - Refrain)

Hurry up now and go get some 2s
Stick 'em right in got nothin' to lose
When you're done stickin' in those 2s
I guarantee you'll have no mo blues.

(Verse)

Those 2s are hidin' overseas somewhere
The factory just doesn't seem to care
Mr B I hate to be such a bear
Must I swim to China in my underwear?

(Verse)

Just gimme those 2s and I'll leave you alone
And I'll be happy not pickin' a  bone
I want the real thing don't gimme no clone
I'm not too happy if you catch my tone.

(Refrain, huge finish)

You may now call the funny farm.

I know what I wrote, I don't need a quote
Rule Number One: It's Our Railroad.  Rule Number Two: Refer to Rule Number One.

SteamGene

Chief Brass Hat

Yampa Bob

LOL  Thanks Gene

Tap out the beat pick up the mike
Any ole tune whatever you like

I've been a square dance caller for 30 years, it just comes natural.

I haven't seen the layout book, I imagine any need for extra 2" was carefully omitted. Perhaps that's why it took so long for the book to be released.
I know what I wrote, I don't need a quote
Rule Number One: It's Our Railroad.  Rule Number Two: Refer to Rule Number One.

TrampTrader

:)

Hi Bob,

Very clever and very funny also !

Free the 2 " Straights !   :D

Pete   :-)