News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Train will not run

Started by Burly, August 15, 2008, 09:50:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jhanecker2

Hello Burly :  17.78 volts seem to be a little high . Are you sure the track was connected to the DC output of the transformer ?  The DC voltage is normally  12 Volts  , and the  AC  output  normally  16 to 18 volts.   You will find many interesting starter sets from Bachmann .   Better Luck with the next set you acquire .  Sometimes  less than perfect product gets out , happen to be a Q.C. Inspector .

Yampa Bob

The rated DC output at full throttle is from 15 to 18 volts depending on the controller, with no load.  12 volts is the nominal voltage when the loco is running at full throttle.  My 15 volt pack actually meters 13 volts with one loco, I know from tests that the loco only draws .20 amp with no cars.

Burly,

You said you returned it, so I assume you got a full refund.  If so, that's great, now we can start fresh by providing some information.

The cheaper Bachmann  starter sets come with steel track on black roadbed. Steel is a good conductor, but subject to rust and corrosion.  So for starters, the preferred EZ Track is  nickel silver on gray roadbed.

Since I enjoy spending other people's money, I suggest you buy separate components and make your own "set". 

Bachmann makes a great line of diesel locomotives in DC.  The GP40 and GP38 with 8 wheel drive are available in many popular road names, street price less than $40.

If you buy from a local dealer, have them test run the loco on their track before buying. If they don't have a test track, or aren't willing to test it, and don't promise to take it back if it doesn't run at home, find another dealer.

To make a simple 56" X 38" oval, you need 12 curved 18" radius sections, 3 straight sections and one straight terminal section.  Add a Bachmann basic power pack and you're ready to roll. 

Add freight cars of your choice.  Kids like the gondolas and flat cars as they can load small cars and toys on them. Of course he will want a caboose. When selecting cars, be sure they have metal wheels.  Some cheaper cars have plastic wheels that can dirty up the track.

By using the Bachmann EZ track and controller system, everything is plug and play.  Put it all on a 64" X 42" piece of 1/2" plywood, doesn't take up much space, and it can be slid under his bed.  
I know what I wrote, I don't need a quote
Rule Number One: It's Our Railroad.  Rule Number Two: Refer to Rule Number One.

ajp3751

There are a bunch of starter sets available. Bachmann makes many that are available on this website. Price depends on DCC and size. Micro mark has a deal right now for the bachmann track pack, DCC starter and engine and cars for just under $200.00. Bachmann has several basic set as well as the acela and some steam engine freight and passenger sets. Athearn and Walthers have decent starter sets as well.

You don't have to buy a set if you know what you need. If there is something you want you can order track and power pack from bachmann and order engine and rolling stock from various places as well as your local hobby shop. Have fun in the hobby with your son.

hgcHO

You might try this site:

http://www.trainsetsonly.com/page/TSO/CTGY/Bachmann

3/4's down the page is the Digital Commander Deluxe set   HO 00501  at $ 173.00

I think this is a good set as it is DCC - and you get two engines that you can run at the same time

easy introduction to DCC - great starter set.

I have grandchildren that enjoy the visit and my 14 year old takes over and runs three 2 DCC and one DC.  She enjoys keeping them all going at the same time.

Good luck and enjoy

HGC

Burly

Thanks for all the great suggestions keep them coming. Ok, now I am going to show just how little I do know, What is DC and DCC? :-\ My son had always been happy with his push trains, he has container after container of these types, can not even hardly walk in his room. But then my Aunt cleaned out her attic after her husband passed, and there were 4 box's of trains and parts, not sure how old they are but the news paper that they were wrapped in was from 1962. Any way, my son going through those box's is all that it took.So now while I try and get the old system to run I told him we would get him a litle set, so that is where we are now.The old box's had all kind of things in them, from engines to cars to buildings, a little bit of track, etc. Looks like I have some home work to do.

Yampa Bob

DC stands for Direct Current.  You can run two locos, but you don't have individual control over each one.  You either run them both, or stop them both.

DCC is Digital Command Control.  Each loco has a decoder you can set  to a different address, say one loco on address 1, another on 2, etc up to 9 with the Bachmann EZ Command.  More advanced systems allow up to 9,999 addresses.

Burly

Well I knew DC was Direct Current for electrical but I figured it was a train slang ...lol...thanks for the education

Yampa Bob

Burly
Sorry about that, just wanted you to know that it is not a train slang thing, and you did ask LOL.

DCC is popular today, but it is not the wherewithal of model railroading.  All my locos are DCC decoder equipped, but they are compatible with DC , and I run DC power most of the time.  

If you wanted to buy a Bachmann diesel loco DCC equipped now, it would only cost you another $10 or so. Then if and when you decide to switch to DCC power, you're all set. 

If you bought a standard DC model, converting it to DCC later would cost about $20, plus all the work of isolating the motor, soldering in decoder wires.  I leave that to those who enjoy pain.   :D

As for the  controller, I would just stick with an inexpensive Bachmann DC controller for now.  That's a no brainer way for your son to start. 

Selecting a DCC controller requires a lot of thought and research.  They are rather expensive, and so many models from which to choose, from entry level EZ Command at about $80, up to hundreds of dollars for full featured units that can program CVs (configuration variables) and other features.  It's not something to rush into.

I don't give a hoot about programming CVs, so I have the Bachmann EZ Command controller. Very simple learning curve (7 page manual).

Obviously I'm a big time Bachmann fan. I think they are the best bang for the buck, and the locos have a lifetime warranty.

If you have any more questions, concerns or doubts, don't hesitate to ask.  All we can do is toss out options, it's your railroad (and your money).

SteamGene

Unfortunately, starter sets are - starter sets.  For Bachmann, look for SPECTRUM.  It's possible you bought an old set, made before they went for quality. 

Do you have a place to set a 5x10 table for a train empire?  Or a 4x8?
Gene
Chief Brass Hat
Virginia Tidewater and Piedmont Railroad
"Only coal fired steam locomotives"

Guilford Guy

The higher quality spectrum equipment is a bit more expensive but may last longer. I am not sure if he wants a "steam train" or a "diesel train." Perhaps you could find out.
http://www.wholesaletrains.com/Detail.asp?Scale=HO&Item=160Set&offset=25&ID=200427306

Atlas makes Trainsets much like Bachmann's in appearance, but with somewhat better
running qualities.
http://www.caboosehobbies.com/catalog/product_info.php?manufacturers_id=&products_id=37256

This set is cheaper than the Atlas ones, and the engine's running qualities are just as good...
http://www.caboosehobbies.com/catalog/product_info.php?manufacturers_id=&products_id=64874

Athearn also makes decent trainsets
http://www.wholesaletrains.com/Detail.asp?Scale=HO&Item=rdpohg&ID=200414380

Lastly, bachmann makes "On30" trains that are the size of Lionel, but run on HO track. You're son might be able to handle them easier.
http://cgi.ebay.com/SPECTRUM-ON30-OHIO-RIVER-WESTERN-TRAIN-SET-25013_W0QQitemZ190243354934QQcmdZViewItem?hash=item190243354934&_trkparms=72%3A1072|39%3A1|66%3A2|65%3A12|240%3A1318&_trksid=p3911.c0.m14

This ebay seller has a HUGE selection of train stuff, which comes with a warranty, unlike any other seller on ebay.
Alex

Yampa Bob

He started out with a diesel in the set, probably the best for a 6 year old. Most of the diesels are very colorful.

Imagine finding 4 boxes of trains almost 50 years old!  I'd like to see some pictures of the locos and buildings.  I think we are seeing the start of another father/son railroad empire.  Isn't it great?

Burly

Guilford,
Thanks for the diffirent sites to check out, it looks like I have some homework to do.
Bob,
I will see about getting the box's out and take a few pics of the old trains and buildings, might be awhile
before I do, Back is screwed up (have an MRI scheduled for Monday AM) But as soon as I an I will.

Burly

Quote from: SteamGene on August 16, 2008, 10:28:29 PM

Do you have a place to set a 5x10 table for a train empire?  Or a 4x8?
Gene

Do not really have a very big spot to work from right now, will be just what we can fit in his room, I am
going to wait and make sure how interested he really is, then I plan to build a building (shed) in the back for him.

CMRR401

i just made this account to answer you because that happened to me once to. i think your problem might be the power wires from the trucks cause that was the problem on my F45. head light worked and all but no movement, i checked the inside and found a wire that had snaped off the power pick up, sodered it back on and it works fine now. i hope this helps you a bit.

Chris

Jim Banner

Actually, Bachmann  0n30 trains are more the size of the old
American Flyer S-scale trains.  They are smaller than full size
0-scale trains just as in the real world narrow gauge
equipment is smaller than full size standard gauge equipment.

But that is not the reason why I would not recommend them
for youngsters.  They tend to be delicate because of their
fine detail.  And putting them on the rails is harder than with
H0 trains.  Young hands rarely have fully developed fine
motor skills, which is why they have less trouble with large
flanges, large wheels, and round profile track as are found
on Lionel and other 0-27 trains.  The smaller wheels of H0
and tiny wheels of N, together with their smaller, close
fitting, square headed rails, can be difficult even for adults. 
Putting those small wheels under a larger car body where
they are hard to see and impossible for a small hand to hold
when reaching over the car from the top is a sure route to
frustration.

In my opinion, if the child has better than average small motor
skills, an H0 train set together with a rerailing ramp is
a good choice.  But don't buy by price alone.  The cheap four
wheel pickup, four wheel drive locomotive still found in all too
many train sets is another source of frustration for child and
adult both.  It becomes nearly impossible to keep the tracks
clean enough to enjoy running the trains.  A decent eight
wheel drive, eight wheel pickup locomotive is a must.

If the child has problems handling small items, he will have
problems handling an H0 train.  Some children just develop
their small motor skills later than others.  Thinking back to my
own childhood, at the age of seven, I had problems rerailing
my MARX trains (similar in size to Lionel trains) but I could do
it.  Turned out I was a late bloomer and did eventually develop
the dexterity to work on cameras, fine electronics, etc.  But I
for one would have been unable to deal with H0 trains at that age.

Bottom line, select the trains to suit the child.
Growing older is mandatory but growing up is optional.