E-Z Command Control: Re-programming a Locomotive

Started by WGL, August 21, 2008, 09:09:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WGL

I have been running my Spectrum EMD SD-45 with DCC on the default address 3 of E-Z Command.  Today, I got an Intermountain F7A DCC/with sound.  Following the E-Z Command instructions, I press Stop & 3 simultaneously; then I press Address 1 & press Stop again, but the Intermountain locomotive does not run at the new address.  I tried the Bachmann locomotive, which certainly ought to respond to a Bachmann DCC controller, but it does not change address, either.  This leaves me with two trains running at the same address on different ovals connected by switches.
  I also tried the instructions for re-programming a locomotive from a different address than 3 & the instructions for re-programming a locomotive with an address higher than 10.   I had more control when one locomotive was DC.

Yampa Bob

Review the instructions top of page 3.  You must press "3" and "stop" precisely at the same time, and release at the same time.  If you do it right, the power led will flash quickly to indicate you are in programming mode.

After pressing the new address button, pause a bit to see if the loco moves a little, then press the stop button. 

I had the same problem when I first tried it. I was pushing one button slightly ahead of the other.
I know what I wrote, I don't need a quote
Rule Number One: It's Our Railroad.  Rule Number Two: Refer to Rule Number One.

the Bach-man

Dear WGL,
Think "Control, Alt, Delete"...
Have fun!
the Bach-man

WGL

I do get the LED light flashing quickly when I press 3 & Stop simultaneously & release them simultaneously, but when I press Address 1, the LED does not flash slower & the locomotive does not move.

Jim Banner

When sound equipped locomotives are involved, you may want to remove all locomotives from the track except the one being programmed. 
Growing older is mandatory but growing up is optional.

grumpy

If you are trying to run both locos with DCC and sound at the same time the 1 amp power supply for the EZ command is not sufficient. Without sound  It will work. I know - I tried it.
Don

WGL

I solved my problem but not by following the manual!  I bought my E-Z Command "Like New" from eBay.  The instructional DVD was missing, however, so I e-mailed the seller.   The DVD arrived Friday.  It is very helpful, because it shows someone programming the control.  The instructions are different from those in the manual! 
  While the manual says to press & release address 3 & Stop simultaneously, the DVD says to press 3, hold it down, press & release Stop & then release 3.  The the LED blinked faster than I'd ever seen it.  Then, I clicked Address 1, the locomotive moved slightly, & the LED blinked slower.  Finally, I pressed Stop, & my F7A locomotive was programmed for Address!

Pacific Northern

Quote from: WGL on August 23, 2008, 01:57:07 AM
I solved my problem but not by following the manual!  I bought my E-Z Command "Like New" from eBay.  The instructional DVD was missing, however, so I e-mailed the seller.   The DVD arrived Friday.  It is very helpful, because it shows someone programming the control.  The instructions are different from those in the manual! 
  While the manual says to press & release address 3 & Stop simultaneously, the DVD says to press 3, hold it down, press & release Stop & then release 3.  The the LED blinked faster than I'd ever seen it.  Then, I clicked Address 1, the locomotive moved slightly, & the LED blinked slower.  Finally, I pressed Stop, & my F7A locomotive was programmed for Address!

Now that is an important piece of news to know about the E-Z DCC unit.
Pacific Northern

Running Bear

I found that out the very same way a couple of years ago. Tried it by following the manual and got results part of the time. Did it the way the DVD said and it worked every time. I still use my EZ-Command today and have a second one as a spare. I can easily run 4 DCC equipped Athearn HO locos. They're equipped with Digitrax Z Scale decoders.
Running Bear

WGL

KCS1,
  Maybe the manual was  printed in China.  ::)
Someone wrote that 2 DCC locomotives with sound would not run with his E-Z Command, so I thought one would need the 5 amp booster.  Do you run DCC locos with sound on E-Z Commands's 1 amp?  I am running one DCC loco without sound & one DCC loco with sound.

Running Bear

I don't know what brand of locos that individual is running. I have no problem at all running 5 Athearn's at once and anybody who's run the older (which most of mine are) Athearn's before knows how much power they can suck up.
Running Bear