News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Older Liliput repair problem

Started by Arthur Morgan, March 07, 2007, 11:53:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Arthur Morgan

This may be a long shot, but I'm getting desperate.  I have 3 Liliput locos from the Austrian production (2 BR05s and a BR18), and all are out of action because the collar-like thing on the motor shaft that connects the motor to the gear assembly has come loose.  I've tried Superglue, Gorilla glue, cursing, etc. and nothing works.  Does anyone have a suggestion?

Jim Banner

Is this a plastic sleeve that the motor shaft fits into?  Is it split?  In such cases, I usually use a brass sleeve over the plastic sleeve.  Then the plastic sleeve can no longer expand when press fit onto the motor shaft.
Growing older is mandatory but growing up is optional.

Arthur Morgan

Thanks for the reply.  No, it's not a plastic sleeve.  It's a cast metal thing like a short thick oval sleeve/coupling on the motor shaft that goes into an oval socket in the gearbox.  It's a way of coupling the motor to the gearbox.  The couplling thing was evidently supposed to be pressed so tightly onto the motor shaft that they didn't put a holding screw for adjusting or tightening it.  Now the motor shaft turns freely inside it, yet it still fits too tightly for me to slip any sleeve inside.  I just can't imagine how to get it tight again  :(

Jim Banner

You may be able to reattach it to the shaft with crazy glue.  Try to fill all of the space between metal piece and shaft, then let it set 24 hours or so before trying it out. 
Growing older is mandatory but growing up is optional.

Seasaltchap

Have you tried a dab of DAP silicone sealer. It is powerful stuff, fills the gap, stays flexible - but you have to have clean surfaces without any sweaty finger grease, and to be patient to give it the full undisturbed 24 hours to cure.

Be sure to keep it away from moving parts, best applied on the end of a wooden match stick. Surplus can be removed with wet rag immediately.
Phoenix AZ: OO enthusiast modelling GWR 1895-1939, Box Station Wiltshire; S&DJR Writhington Colliery, Nr. Radstock.

Interested in making friends on the site with similar interests.

Hunt

Look into using J-B Weld or Faststeel Epoxy Putty .
Use  Faststeel Epoxy Putty if you have a gap to fill.
Both are metal epoxy.