News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Tenders from Bachmann

Started by Williamson, August 29, 2008, 12:06:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Williamson

Huge props to Bachmann for offering steam tenders separately! ;D

This tells me that someone here is really paying attention. Thanks for setting a great example for the other N scale steam manufacturers.

Mark

GlennW

Bachmann has a huge hit with the new tenders. I'd like to know if Bachmann has plans to upgrade the standard line steamers with them? Then you could offer more steamers with the correct tender. Also, they could be used as an upgrade for other maker's steamers.

brokemoto

I can tell you from experience that they improve the Model Power eight-wheeler and mogul.

On the eight-wheeler, they improve the pulling power slightly and the contact is better.

The USRA Standard makes a major improvement to the mogul.  At  speeds less than thirty SMPH, the MP mogul will stall even on straight and level.  The combination of the traction tyre and the half-wheels live tender severely compromises the contact on this one.  If you substitute an all wheels live B-mann SPECTRUM tender, the MP mogul is a real winner.  It will pull fifteen loaded MT gondolas and an MT wood caboose up a one per-cent grade at TEN SMPH and shows no sign of slipping.  Fifteen and the caboose was the most that I tried, it could have done more.

I do plan to substute SPECTRUM USRA Standard tenders for the MP pacific and mikado, as well.

trainman41

I recently bought one of the old Bachmann SP style Vanderbilt tenders at a swap meet.  From what I could tell, this tender never had an electrical pick-up on the trucks, I assume any engine used with it, did all the electrical contact.  I would like to use this tender ( after some modifications) with the Bachmann Heavy Mountain, to try and kitbash an example of the SP Mountain type locomotive.  I was wondering if any of the parts from the current Bachmann tenders ( with 6-wheel trucks) could be used  to give the old tender an electrical connection through the trucks?

The one current offering of the Heavy Mountain has a Vanderbilt tender, but its eastern design, and not very close to an SP tender.  but I wondered if I might be able to use the trucks and electrical connections off the new tender, on the old tender?  Anyone have any ideas or suggestions on this.

Of course the best solution would be if Bachmann retooled the old Vanderbilt, up graded the details and electrical connections....but I doubt there is much chance of that happening... :(    Bachmann does offer the SP Hicken style Vanderbilt in HO, and it is excellent, with the updated electrical connections..

r0bert

Richmond Controls make a pick up kit for the old northern tenders.