News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Bad Engine?

Started by James Patterson, March 07, 2007, 10:24:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

James Patterson

In 2002 my mom purchised a Bachmann N-scale starter set for my birthday. It was a Santa Fe 4-8-4 Northern with assorted cars and an oval of track. I had it set up until about mid 2003 when I had to take it down temporarily because I was seting up a Like-Like slot car racing set in its place. In early 2004 I had room again (this time on my space themed layout [never finished]) and set it up. I powered it up, but the moter only buzzed. Then after leting it sit for about 6 mounths I took it down. To my suprise the side rod had moved! The rod was not in a stright line and had bent. I took it to the Model railroad museum and showed it to the N-sacle club. They took it apart and discovered that a light blue gear had stripped. They think that the rod bent (somehow) and because it couldn't move stripped the gear.

Is this a typical problem? If it is is there a way to fix it or will I have to send it back to Bachmann?

ben_not_benny

Locomotives like the 4-8-4 should hardly break down, unless they're improperly handled.

How do you usually store them?

James Patterson

The same way I store everything! In spare Athearn kit boxes with foam!

James in FL

QuoteThey took it apart and discovered that a light blue gear had stripped. They think that the rod bent (somehow) and because it couldn't move stripped the gear

Is this a typical problem? If it is there a way to fix it or will I have to send it back to Bachmann?

Anytime a loco comes out of storage, at least open it up and have a look to see if cleaning and lubrication is warranted before running again.

Is this a typical problem?
No.

Is there a way to fix it?
Yes, there is.
Find a used one on the auction site and cannibalize it for parts.

But before you do that…..

Bachmann has re-worked this lokie in the last year or two.
Send the old one back to B’mann along with 15USD.
I think you will be pleasantly surprised with what they send back to you.

The old version is nowhere near on par with the new.

anoldrail

I will second that, I had to send in an old version, and the replacement was great.  Can't get it any better than that.
Regards
Dick
Remember: Cornfield meets really mess up the corn

GlennW

When you brought the lokie out from storage, you need to treat it a little different. chances are, it will need cleaning & relubing. That could be the cause of binding & other problems. Then you have to break it in as if it were new.

It's a bit like running a car without an oil change.

The good news is you can send it back to Bachmann & get a new one. It is much better than the old ones!

Train Nutz

Sounds like you have the older model of the 4-8-4 Northern. The new model is split metal frame and doesn't have any blue gears inside. Infact their all black. Now on yours, were you stored it was their any chance of the area getting hot some how? Near a heater vent or warmed by the summer sun? Heat can cause problems to drying up any lube inside an engine to warping the plastic. It's also possible that one of the gears just stripped inside forcing the rod to bend. Contact Bachmann on servicing your loco. Since this is the older model the only recourse is to replace it with the newer one as their probably no servicable parts for the older one. Bachmann has a lifetime warranty on their stuff and you should check into this for your engine.
                                     Train Nutzzzzzzzzzzz