News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

N&W Class J

Started by joe935, September 02, 2008, 09:34:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

joe935

Will the N&W class J 4-8-4, perform well on Bachmann E-ZTrack 11.25 radius track?

James in FL

Hi joe935,

Hmmm..."perform well"...is subjective at best.

Maybe I can shed a bit of light on what I think you are asking?

Q. Will the "J" negotiate an 11.25r EZ track curve without derailing?
A. Yes it will, at slow speed, but it sure doesn't like it.

Bachmann recommends using the "J" on the 19r. EZ Track.
It runs much smoother, with less wobble and slowing, and doesn't try to climb the rail.

It's good practice to always go with the widest radius possible when planning/building your layout.

If 11.25r is the maximum radius your real estate will afford so be it.
Just post a maximum 25 smph speed limit.  ;D
Traverse the curves slowly and you'll be alright.

Might I suggest a little research on easements?

My experience, and reply, is based on the "New Spectrum J" released about 2-3 years ago, not the older "Standard" version.

Good luck.

Williamson

I dumped my old 1980s "J" when the new Spectrum J was announced. I have bought two of the new Spectrum Js ;D. They test ran just fine on Kato 11" radius.

The loco has two drawbar holes. One for close coupling (and wide curves) - the other gives more space between the loco and tender. I would use the latter hole for tight curves (under 15" radius).

joe935

Thanks Willianson and James for your responses.
James my layout is already finished using all 11.25 radius track on curves. What do you mean by researching easements?
  I must say it's disappointing that Bachmann makes 11.25 curves and then don't supply engines that will negotiate that radius.
  I think the problem is the way they designed the front and rear trucks pivoting them from the center and this does not allow for proper movement of the truck on smaller radii.

C855B

Joe, 11.25" is pretty sharp - toy train territory. There was a design decision along the way, "do we want a toy, or a model?" Sharp curves with an 8-driver steam locomotive would mean a serious, serious compromise in model fidelity to be able to negotiate the sharpest curves. The J is best on 15" minimum radius. While I feel for you with your disappointment, there has to be a little bit of expectation management on your end: you can't have it both ways - accurate model running on curve radii that are impossible "in nature".

Yes, you do need to research easements. Easements are how the real thing handles transitions from straight ("tangent") track to curves - the operative word being "transition". This can be approximated by using a section of larger radius - 19", for example - between the straight section and your smaller curve. It will significantly reduce the tendency for the J to climb the rails.

This is all the crux of my particular beef with Bachmann, the older DDA40X models - they compromised the model design to allow the tower-type drive mechanism to handle 9.75" curves. As a result, the model is nearly 2 scale feet (20%) too wide, which completely buggers the proportions. Model fidelity goes out the window, reducing them to toys. I'm gritting my teeth in hopes that the new version fixes this.

joe935

C855B, Thanks for your input.
I have several engines including the Kato GS4 which is a 4-8-4 and 2 other Kato's which are 2-8-4s and they all run perfectly on my layout. It's Bachmann engines that i have most problems with derailing.

James in FL

Sorry for the delay in posting joe935 but I was called away from home.
Easements are as C855B stated,
Using B'mann EZ track you can remove 1 piece of 11.25r track and substitute 2 pieces of 19r (one on each end of your curve),
Or better yet, remove 2 pieces of 11.25r and replace with 4 pieces of 19r, two on each end, (leading and trailing).

Here's a link you might find helpful;

http://www.trackplanning.com/easements.htm

joe935

Thanks for the explanation James. Let me add that no part of my layout has 6 contiguous sections of 11.25 curved track. at most only 3 curved sections with 1 or more straight tracks on either side.

James in FL

You're welcome.
Hope you found the link helpful.

Your presumption is correct in your reply regarding the design of the leading and trailing trucks. It is for this reason B'mann recommends the 19r for that loco.

Like I said the "J" will run on it but she won't like it.

If you've got any more EZ track, experiment with it laid out on the floor.
Use some 19r as I suggested to transition into the 11.25r curves. I think you will be pleasantly surprised as how much better the "J" and all your other lokies, will perform.
See for yourself.

joe935

James, Since my track layout is all finished, it's to late to make any changes to it now. And I do not own the class J and do not intend to buy it for this reason. Maybe in my next life. LOL

If you would like to checkout my layout:

http://www.angelfire.com/planet/joe935/