News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Bachmann GP40 w/DCC vs SD40-2 w/DCC

Started by WGL, September 15, 2008, 02:39:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

WGL

Can anyone tell me the respective eras of & differences between these locomotives:  Bachmann HO 60301 RTR GP40 w/ DCC  Bachmann HO 60904 RTR SD40-2 w/ DCC?  Bachmann is offering attractive prices on both models.

jayl1

The GP40s  are 3000 horsepower with EMD 645 engines.  Length of them  was 59' 2" and they had 16 cylinder engines.  The GP40 was built from 1965 until 1971 with a total of 1201 built.  These engines also had 4 wheel trucks.  The SD40-2 has six wheel trucks.  They are also 3000 horsepower/16 cylinder engines.  Production began in 1972 and over 1850 units were built.  They are 68' 10" long.  They also have a "porch" on the rear of the locomotive.  This info came from the Diesel Spotters Guide.

Adding - there was also a GP40-2 and a GP40P (passenger service on the Jersey Central).  This was to be an improved version of the GP40.  All of these class are still running today.  On my last trip west, the Union Pacific had many SD40-2s running.  Hope this helps a bit.
Jay

ajp3751

The SD40-2 was the most used and purchased locomotive by american rail lines until just recently. Most of them are still in use as they were well known for long lasting reliabilaty and power. GM EMD designated deisel electric locomotives with GP (General Purpose) and SD(Special Duty). The SD had six wheel trucks to distribute the weight of the loco over a more axels and thus allowed it to be used on lesser quality rails. GPs were used as road power, yard... as they were the same powerplant as the older brother, but a shorter wheelbase. The GP40 and SD40 were realeased earlier on. The -2 locos were equipped with updated electronics and in some cases more power.

WGL

Jayl1 & ajp3751,
Thanks for the helpful information!  One of these days, I'm going to be there with my camera when the Union Pacific that passes here (Menomonie, WI) several times a day & night, crosses north of town.  Maybe, it's one of those models.

Yampa Bob

Union Pacific coal trains run through our ranch, so we do a lot of railfanning with binoculars. 

Today we heard the horns and drove down to the crossing for a look. What a surprise!  A string of locos heading east with 3 UP AC44, a Burlington Northern GP40, and a Santa Fe GP40.  They were heading for Denver, no cars, and running about 70 mph.  What a time to forget my camera.  >:(

Rio Grande had a lot of GP40s, their mainstay for many years here in Colorado. I passed on the Bachmann SD40, as I wanted the UP with US Flag.

All locos here are designated TE for tunnel engines, since they have to pass through the 6 mile long Moffat Tunnel

Last year on a trip to Wichita, Kansas, we saw a bunch of GP38-2 working the yard, got some great close up pictures. 
I know what I wrote, I don't need a quote
Rule Number One: It's Our Railroad.  Rule Number Two: Refer to Rule Number One.

WGL

Back in the '50s & '60s, it was fun to see what different railway's cars were in a GN train.  I wish I could remember more of them, but I've included DM&IR iron ore cars, a SOO Line boxcar & a Burlington Northern coal car in my Great Northern train.  Sometime, I may find pictures of GN freight trains from that era, showing the different names.