News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

EZ Track layouts here

Started by Terry Toenges, March 08, 2007, 05:12:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Terry Toenges

PDS -
It was Bojangle having trouble with the turnouts.
Feel like a Mogul.

pds1506

Terry,

You are correct, my fault.  Have you ever used the Bachmann Crossovers?  If so, have you had any trouble with trains derailing?

Jonathan MacCormack

Terry,

No intent to jump in with anything. I was just asking.

Thanks.

Jonathan

Bojangle

Johathan:
Sorry you consider my input as "garbage". I have had a lot of experience with EZ track, but for your  benefit, I will contribute no further on this subject
Bo

SteamGene

One of the most common ways of setting up a short "S" curve is by using turnouts and not thinking of the pattern they can make.
Gene
Chief Brass Hat
Virginia Tidewater and Piedmont Railroad
"Only coal fired steam locomotives"

Jonathan MacCormack

Terry,

I wanted to share my thinking with you.

My "S" curve would consist of 3 or 4 pieces of 33 or 35 inch radius sections connected in an alternate pattern.  When complete it would remind you of a snake slithering along or a rail line thru the mountains next to a river gorge. This would be a mainline portion of a layout, not a siding configuration.

No problems with passenger cars derailing, straights can be added for visual effect.
You could even intermix different radii of track for some very uunusual curved sections. Oops, not prototypical for most to comprehend.

Be sure to post a picture of your development should you try this. By the way, I always wanted to use one piece of each radius track placed together to see what kind of ciurve was created and then, perhaps, reverse it to get a continuous loop. Health problems have stopped my experimentation at present unfortunately.

Well, I guess I did jump in. Oh well.

Best,

Jonathan

Derek O

Great job again Terry!

Glad to see you're setting the groundwork for the next phase of the annual campaign to "FREE the 2" STRAIGHTS". (lol)

Derek

Terry Toenges

PDS - I've never used the crossovers.
Jonathan - I'm not doing any more experimenting for now. I'm sticking with my 4 scale Christmas layout and concentrating on working on the cars and locos.
Feel like a Mogul.

Joe Satnik

Dear All,

Sorry about the resurrected thread.  Just seemed logical to put this here:

Terry's page 1 sketch (photo #13) entered into AnyRail:

Enjoy.

Sincerely,

Joe Satnik
If your loco is too heavy to lift, you'd better be able to ride in, on or behind it.

Doneldon

Quote from: Jonathan MacCormack on June 26, 2007, 12:21:30 PM
My "S" curve would consist of 3 or 4 pieces of 33 or 35 inch radius sections connected in an alternate pattern.  When complete it would remind you of a snake slithering along or a rail line thru the mountains next to a river gorge. This would be a mainline portion of a layout, not a siding configuration.

No problems with passenger cars derailing, straights can be added for visual effect.
You could even intermix different radii of track for some very uunusual curved sections. Oops, not prototypical for most to comprehend.

Jonathon-

If you are talking about alternating the directions of your track from one track section to the next, regardless of the curvature or whether it's a siding or the mainline, you will have S-curves, pure and simple. You might get away with it if the curves are all up in the mid-30-inch range and your equipment is well maintained but I couldn't recommend that you do this. What you describe probably would look good on a huge layout with the room to pull it off (and with straight sections between the reverse curves), but it would be a tight fit on most home set-ups.

I will recommend something: we all try to leave our bad attitudes and disrespect somewhere else when we come on this site to talk with one another or try to solve problems. I strongly urge you to do the same.
                                                                                                         -- D

Jerrys HO

Don,

QuoteJonathon-

If you are talking about alternating the directions of your track from one track section to the next, regardless of the curvature or whether it's a siding or the mainline, you will have S-curves, pure and simple. You might get away with it if the curves are all up in the mid-30-inch range and your equipment is well maintained but I couldn't recommend that you do this. What you describe probably would look good on a huge layout with the room to pull it off (and with straight sections between the reverse curves), but it would be a tight fit on most home set-ups.

I will recommend something: we all try to leave our bad attitudes and disrespect somewhere else when we come on this site to talk with one another or try to solve problems. I strongly urge you to do the same.
                                                                                                         -- D

Good luck getting an answer as he has not logged in for almost 7 years.

Joe Satnik

Hence the warning in the other thread. 
If your loco is too heavy to lift, you'd better be able to ride in, on or behind it.

jbrock27

Keep Calm and Carry On

kdgrant6

Good looking ideas.

When using inclines, what do you do in curves when the over track is spanning between inclines?

Terry Toenges

Here's a couple of ideas for curves.

Feel like a Mogul.