Bulb voltage as fitted to Proto 2000 "PA" diesel

Started by Fred M, March 08, 2007, 06:03:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Atlantic Central

Rich,

I agree, dictionaries always have and always will "evolve" with "popular" useages. What so many fail to realize is that in any technical profession there is a need for acurate communication, especially in the writen word.

The importantance of this is lost to those who are not technical by their basic nature but are in fact more "art" and "people" oriented. They always respond with "you know what I mean", but they have never had to write or read and interperate a specification for a multi million dollar construction project. Yet they can really get upset when the contractor doesn't build their new home correctly.

My point was that more information is better than less, even with less than technically correct terms. But they will never see the world the way we do when it coms to this. The details of such things bore them and they happily leave those details to us.

To Fred,

Lighten up, dispite the disertation above, my first post was somewhat in jest at both sides. This topic has been covered on here before and no one is picking on you, just pointing out what they feel will make discussion of technical matters simpler and more clear.

If I used spanner, lift, bonnet, torch, etc, in my converation, you would know what those things are, but many north americans would not. Establishing a common vocabulary within a technical hobby or profession is a long standing tradition that aids in communication.

If I used the terms 1900 box, hicky, bug, yoke, knock out punch, mogul base, you may think I am talking about a number of unrelated things. But Rich (last post) would know I was talking about electrical work.

So as electricians we use the terms "lamp" and "fixture" so that we always know if we are talking about the thing with the filiment or the thing you put the "lamp" into that is hooked to the wires.

Sheldon   

Fred M

Fred