News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Spec 2-8-0 advice needed

Started by lanny, March 09, 2007, 02:06:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

lanny

I am sure this topic must have been covered before, however having never taken the boiler off the chassis of the Spec 2-8-0 for kit bashing, etc.,advice would be appreciated. (I have taken Spectrum boiler fronts off and cab removal seems pretty straight forward, but any advice and/or warnings will be greatly appreciated!).

Thanks!

lanny nicolet
ICRR Steam & "Green Diamond" era modeler

Orsonroy

Hi Lanny,

Loosen the screw at the rear of the frame until the body releases. Remove the pilot truck and spring. Remove the screw under the pilot truck tongue. Slide the steps from the running board to the pilot out of the boiler (no need to remove them completely). At this point the shell is free, but still attached. Lift the rear of the shell up and slide it forward to remove completely.

I just took mine apart. IC 902, here I come! (yes, I'm working on steam again!)
Ray Breyer
Modeling the NKP's Peoria Division, 1949

lanny

Thanks, Orsonroy!

To 'partially' quote you ... "IC #907, here I come"  :-)

lanny niclet

Orsonroy

Actually, I misspoke. 902 has the slanted cylinders that half the class was rebuilt with, so it looks like I'll be doing 905 instead. 908 will wait until Brad figures out how to crank out the Paducah domes!

So far, the boiler of mine is stripped, including the sand dome and two unnecessary boiler bands. The steam dome has been recontoured, and a new auxiliary turret has been fabricated. One tip: fill in the channel that the left side running board fits into (the part over the air pump) with scale 4x6 and 4x8 to fill in the unwanted portions.

Tomorrow's tasks will include finishing the boiler and cab modifications, and hopefully adding the first of the new detailing. I'll hopefully have a few pictures for you on Monday!

RAY
Ray Breyer
Modeling the NKP's Peoria Division, 1949

jon grant 4472

Hi Ray,

with your modelling skills, I'm sure you can fabricate your own dome at home for nothing, like I did.

http://www.bachmanntrains.com/home-usa/board/index.php/topic,587.0.html

Jon
Modelling HO in the UK

My Blog

My Videos

My Railimages

Bill Baker

Jon,

Abosuletly beautiful work.  I don't have as much talent in my whole body as you do in your little finger. 

Make more pictures!!!!
Bill

lanny

Hi Ray,

Ooooops ... I meant #908! After all our eMails, your photos, etc. I shouldn't have made that number mistake :-)

lanny