News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Bachmann 2-10-4 Minimum Turn Radius

Started by pvt64, March 09, 2007, 07:03:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

pvt64

Does anyone know the minimum turn radius on the Bachmann 2-10-4's?

SteamGene

You mean the old ones?  Probably 18" with lots of wheel drift.  Still would look poorly.  Try for 22 at the minimum and 24 would be better.
Gene
Chief Brass Hat
Virginia Tidewater and Piedmont Railroad
"Only coal fired steam locomotives"

SteamGene

Welcome.  I hope you have one that performs well.
Gene
Chief Brass Hat

r.cprmier

Gene;
My experience with a five-coupled mill is that on anything less than 26 or so inches rad. they become a bit finicky.  Perhaps it is the engine, perhaps the trackwork (for which I am world renowned...)-or maybe gremlins (see Letters from Jim-MR 1967)...
...At any rate, it is probably in the best interests of frustration prevention and potential "kit-bashing" that one uses about a 30-inch rad as a perscribed minimum for a five coupled locomotive-or just run diesels...
Rich
Rich

NEW YORK NEW HAVEN & HARTFORD RR. CO.
-GONE, BUT NOT FORGOTTEN!

SteamGene

Rich,
I would agree with you except for the fact that these are Bachmann 2-10-4s.  All of those are older mdels and presumably designed with wide, flangless drivers in the middle so that it can negotiate the track on the typical 4x8.  If Bachmann retools and releases them, I'll bet they will have a minimum radius warning on them.
Gene
Chief Brass Hat

r.cprmier

Gene;
I think I inferred that five coupled engines-of which the Texas type is one, et etc etc.  I am not sure where you are going with that last reply.
I tend to approach my trackwork as if there are no such thing as blind drivers.  My minimum radius on the main is 36 inches, and  I still have trouble with ten drivers-they just seem to be too tight.  As I want the drag freight feature on my layout, I will take pains to accommodate them.
My 2-6-6-2 mallets all seem to fare better, as they are in reality, 6-coupled engines operating in a pair; thus allowing both frames to swivel independent of one another. 

OK, well I am going up for a beer and some supper.  How's your layout coming? 

RIch     
Rich

SteamGene

Rich,
I understand.  But I think the old Bachmann Texans could traverse (obscenely) 18 inch radius. Now what would happen in a yard with curved track, is another story.
The layout is progressing. I have tracks 1-6 of staging in and 7-9 are at various levels of completion. 
I've made a few changes to Sheldon's plan.
Both Gordonsville and Sugar Grove will have locomotive ready tracks which should put all my locos on rails.
The helixes will have two loops, giving me 14" between staging and the "real" layout.  This should allow me to have some scenery in at least the front of staging and along part of the reverse loop.  I'm also thinking that at one part in each helix the track can come out of the mountain, going from tunnel to tunnel, perhaps over a stream.  I like to see trains!   :D  Club help is sparse right now as we get ready for the Open House at the end of April.  But I've had both some good help and some good advice and it seems that everybody except me feels I'm progressing very well.
Gene
Chief Brass Hat

r.cprmier

HI, Gene;
Question:  What is your radii for the helix?  I am given to about a 72" circle (6feet), and would like to do one to get up to the "clouds".  Basically, I think I could do one satisfactorily; but what of the larger engines?  How would they act negotiating that curve, especially with a train behind them?  Also, I wonder what would be the effect of an elevated outer rail-not much, just about maybe .030".

When I think of a helix, I think about getting the second layer to the six foot height level.   The base is about four feet high; just enough to be disastrous to unwary engines.   (I am 6'2", so it is no big thing in that dept).  Also, that base is a great place to put that rope lighting that Tony was telling me about last year at the proto meet here in Ct.

On your sound decoder:  I hope you have a beeeeeg tender, especially if you are using Tsunami.  I installed three of them, and they were-to say the least-a challenge for me.  As a fringe benefit, I did learn some new "English"...

Rich
Rich

SteamGene

Rich, minimum radius everywhere is 30".  The helixes are on the penninsulas, with a width of six feet and the helixes themselves scaled out at about 62-63 inches.  So that's about a 31 inch radius and a 2% grade.  Trains are rated at 13 feet in length, or about 23 40' cars, locomotive, and caboose.   Some will be shorter by far. 
Helix construction has not begun.
Gene
Chief Brass Hat