News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

2-8-0 shorting out

Started by shawneehawk, September 26, 2008, 11:47:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Yampa Bob

In my earlier post, I mentioned monitoring heat while running on DC as well. In my last post I was referring to "EXTRA" heat that might be generated due to the increased current demand of the full decoder functions.

"Bypassed"  was incorrect in the DC context but I did say "essentially", I was alluding to the fact that not all functions were operational.  My error was in the wording, not in understanding.

Anyway, thanks for the correction.
I know what I wrote, I don't need a quote
Rule Number One: It's Our Railroad.  Rule Number Two: Refer to Rule Number One.

shawneehawk

I wanted to post a reply as to what has been going on with my Connie the last week.  I finally located the cause of the loco running noisy on DC.  My DC test layout is a 4x8 with homasote over plywood, and Atlas code 100 tacked to the homasote.  I was powering it with a MRC Tech II 2500 and a Controlmaster 20, with the Tech II being the primary pack.  I also had my Spectrum 2-10-0 out and noticed it was getting very noisy, too.  I switched from the Tech II to the Controlmaster, and the loud buzzing was gone instantly from both locos.  I flipped toggles to put the Tech II back on line and the noise returned.  So apparently the Tech II was going bad all along, and I was going crazy as I thought it was the loco.  Maybe this is the reason some of the plastic melted around the front tender truck as well?  The Tech II is 22 years old, but I always thought those power packs would last forever.

I replaced the tender pickup on the Connie with my MDC pickup.  I had to some difficulty in getting the front truck off, but it looks ok.  After confirming the loco was running ok on DC, I put the Tsunami back in and have been running it around the DCC layout with minimal problems.  I say minimal as it did stall a couple of times, but that could be due to dirty track.  I do think the major problems here have been solved, and want to thank everyone for helping me with the Connie.  I also gained some confidence, as I was able to get the loco straightened out without sending it off someplace to be repaired.  I did note on one of the other threads that my PC board may be the original version, as I do not have the 5 banded resistor where it is shown, but will worry about  this problem later.  I'll check back from time to time...this is a great forum!

Thanks again.