PRR S-2 Steam Turbine Product Suggestion for Spectrum

Started by pvt64, March 09, 2007, 07:11:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

pvt64

ebtnut

I guess my thought is that this is such a unique, one-of loco that the Bachmann folks would not be inclined.  They are generally looking for prototypes that have broad appeal and/or can fit into several different road types--See, USRA 2-10-2; Russian Decapod; Richmond 4-4-0.  The model has been done in brass a number of times. 

pvt64

FFJOHNL312

Yes, but one need look to the PRR prototype K4 Pacific......granted, the GN had locos with Belpaire fireboxes, but.....
John Loesch
DGLE? We don't need no stinkin' DGLE!

HOplasserem80c

didn't they on't make one pennsy tirbine and besides lionel already took all the cool out of that loco when they told you only 4 of the wheels touch the track

GN.2-6-8-0

Quote from: FFJOHNL312 on March 09, 2007, 08:01:45 PM
Yes, but one need look to the PRR prototype K4 Pacific......granted, the GN had locos with Belpaire fireboxes, but.....
John Loesch
But what bub :-\
Rocky Lives

Nigel

Not I, the S2 was even less successful than the T1 and Q2 locomotives.

I could probably be talked into one Q2, as the N&W tested one in the late '40's - it did not fare well compared to the N&W A.
Nigel
N&W 1950 - 1955

Woody Elmore

The Pennsy S-1 and S-2 were interesting experiments but I doubt that Bachmann would sell many. Maybe diehard Pennsy fans would want one but these engines are definitely not something that would be worth producing.

SteamGene

Such locomotives as the N&W Jawn Henry, the C&O turbine, and the many Pennsy experiments were all too few in number and too road particular to be worth building for the mass market.  All were failures in one degree or another.  Think generic Mike; generic Pacific! 
Chief Brass Hat
Virginia Tidewater and Piedmont Railroad
"Only coal fired steam locomotives"

Woody Elmore

There was one S-1 and one S-2. The S-2 is the one Lionel chose to bring out in their postwar line which is why the engine is still so popular today. These were beautiful engines but just couldn't compete with diesel engines.

Atlantic Central

I don't see were this hobby needs anything else that says PRR, or Union Pacific for that matter. Especially not something that was a failure.

Sheldon