Breddask Senn Works - Wooden Railway Scratchbuilds!

Started by ZeldaTheSwordsman, September 27, 2008, 12:03:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cheeky_ULP

Awdrys home layout was most accurate to the Railway Series, and he used LMS Suburban coaches to make Annie and Clarabel, or to at least look like LMS. There is no argument. Its a fact. They are, and there's no denying it.

I was saying nothing of Thomas. Kennedys illustrations were wrong still.

ZeldaTheSwordsman

That's not an official statement, and as Daniel, HenryBlue, and Knuckles have pointed out to me Wilbert Awdry stated that his own models were not indicative. And the idea of Annie and Clarabel being converted from six-wheeled coaches was proposed by none other than Christopher Awdry. Plus, how can any one version be defined as wrong when they have been given at least four different forms by four different artists?  ???

Cheeky_ULP

Quote from: ZeldaTheSwordsman on December 31, 2008, 10:00:15 PM
That's not an official statement, and as Daniel, HenryBlue, and Knuckles have pointed out to me Wilbert Awdry stated that his own models were not indicative. And the idea of Annie and Clarabel being converted from six-wheeled coaches was proposed by none other than Christopher Awdry. Plus, how can any one version be defined as wrong when they have been given at least four different forms by four different artists?  ???
It's an official statement. You're referring to models, not rolling stock. And I don't know where you heard the six wheel coach thing, but I'll tell you right now that's BULL. Railway Series style is NOT determined by the artist. Illustrations ARE NOT CANON!

Honestly Zelda, I tried to tell you simply, but you don't listen. What they said was a LONG time ago, and I can still tell you they'd have different answers now than they did before.

Edit: Here's a conclusion after talking to Knuckles, since you like his opinion best:
Annie and Clarabel most likely would be coaches of LMS design. The London, Midland, and Scottish Railway, or what it was in British Railways, was the closest railway to the North Western. A good lot of his locos came from there as well (Edward: Larger Seagull from the Furness, Henry: LMS Stanier Black 5, James: London and Yorkshire Class 27/28, Donald and Douglas from the Caledonian, which I believe was part of the LMS, then later BR). Collet coaches are a possibility, but not as likely. You are currently making Annie from Bachmanns models by bashing them together, this might make a good bet for Kennedys illustrations, but not the best choice. Annie and Clarabel in the TV series are from London, Brighton, South Coast Railway design, as the Bachmann model follows. This is rather awkward for the Railway series, as its a rather far away line for the Fat Controller to get his engines from. In the Railway Series, A&C were introduced in Tank Engine Thomas Again, but were "mentioned" in Thomas the Tank Engine. At this time, his smaller rooster of engines had mostly come from LMS territory, so it'd make sense, and most do, for his coaches to of been bought from the LMS. Its HIGHLY unlikley he had his own built, since the NWR was buying older and prototypical stock, rather than building. So now I say carry on if you feel like it, but an LMS coach design would be your best bet. Many RTR models exist of the coaches, and can make Annie and Clarabel with a simple paint job.

ZeldaTheSwordsman

Well, I haven't updated here in a long time. Here's how it is: I'm forging ahead with my scratchbuilt Annie and Clarabel. Instead of the kits I planned to get earlier in the year. Partly it's a matter of pride. But also, I will be buying Duck from Antics Online. He's going to get the RWS treatment.

As for Annie and Clarabel, they are coming well. After their interiors are painted (I'm going to use green) I will manufacture, paint, and install seats (would vermilion go with the green, or should I use another colour?). Clarabel will also have the guard's compartment/luggage compartment detailed. This should be done by tonight. Both coaches will have lights, powered by batteries in the undercarriage. Sparks, do you know if they should also have overhead luggage racks of some kind?

Thomas is all right. I have him fitted (temporarily) with James' funnel and one of his brake pipes. As soon as I find James' running plate I'll give him the other pipe. He's also going to get lamp irons soon. He will retain the parts from James until I have accurate replacements. (He had no brake pipes at all when I got him, and the Hornby funnel is awful. James' is no substitute for a proper E2 funnel, but it's better than the one Hornby gave Thomas). Does anyone know if I could do a decent E2 funnel with Sculpy?

And its time to get down to business on Lady. I have a couple ideas for a chassis (either the one I originally planned, or an even better one I could get cheap). I'm thinking of using James' motor, but If I can get a duplicate of Edward's or somehow use Duck's motor (giving Duck the old Life-Like's just-as-strong-but-too-big-for-Lady motor) instead I will.

EDIT: Pictures here. Making seats for Annie and Clarabel has been taking longer than I'd hoped.

A standpipe, modeled based on photographs. Not yet complete:

Thomas:
Side-on view.

Angled view, right-hand side shown.

Angled view, left-hand side shown.

Back view.

Front view. Note the lamp.

Side view, hook-and-loop couplers removed.

Right-hand side angled view (sans couplers), front showing.

Right-hand side angled view (sans couplers), back showing.

Annie and Clarabel:

Sorry about all the arguments. I am trying to make them follow the LMS coach models. Oh, Sparks, there's another possible origin for Annie and Clarabel. They could have originally been built for the Sodor & Mainland railway, the Tidmouth, Knapford, and Elsbridge railway, or the Wellsworth and Suddery Light Railway. I'm still making my models resemble the LMS coaches, but I thought it was a relevant point.

As for Lady, I'm going to use my Bachmann Thomas' motor for her.I'm going to go with the chassis I got for her, but with improved valve gear. Any suggestions on making improved valve gear for the Life-Like Docksider's chassis?

By the way, what's your real name? Mine's Brendan Aggeler.

ZeldaTheSwordsman

I am sorry to resort to this tactic, but I'm bumping the topic up to the top. I could REALLY use some comments and criticism, and SRMF is still in maintenance mode.

Santa Fe buff

Well,
I like what I see. Although an airbrush would be nice, I certainly understand why one wasn't used. Continue the fine job!

Cheers,
Joshua
- Joshua Bauer

ThomasFan247

ZeldaTheSwordsman

SURPRISE UPDATE!

Annie and Clarabel have come much farther along since last I posted here. Both have complete bodies, and are mounted on homemade chassis. The chassis still need undercarriages, but they serve. I am proud to say that both coaches are very near completion.

Annie:

I realise that the stripe looks terrible, and have since painted over it.

Clarabel:

The luggage compartment with the doors opened.

The guard's compartment, with amenities such as a folding cot, a wall cabinet, a first aid box, and a table.

Side view of Clarabel with the luggage doors opened.

A close-up look at the coupling between Clarabel and Annie.

Simple view of Clarabel from the side. She still needs a roof, obviously. I am unsure how to make a removeable roof, although I do have one or two ideas in that direction.

ZeldaTheSwordsman

Here, have a video of Thomas and his train doing a test run:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eMf75KUf7a4

Update on Lady: Left hand side valve gear has been constructed.

ZeldaTheSwordsman

Apologies for the triple post, but I have an update.

Yet more progress on Lady. Both sides have valve gear now.

Additionally, I have purchased a new motor to install in her, can't wait 'til it arrives.

And here's something just for you guys. In a few hours I'll have pictures up of a Thomas project I can't show at SRMF or The Permanent Way: Scratchbuilt wooden Skarloey Railway coaches. Not done yet, though.

EDIT: Here are the pics.

Agnes and Beatrice. I need to find some more wheels and magnets.

EDIT AGAIN: Of all the no-good rotten luck... The motor doesn't fit. The measurements the seller gave weren't quite right. Damnit damnit damnit.

AJWPRODUCTIONS

woa good work love the projects :o :o :o :o keep up the good work anymore updates? :P EDIT: I see lady making a cameo behind agnes and beatrice please give us an update soon have fun the AJWPRODUCTION-mann

AJWPRODUCTIONS

Quote from: Sparks on October 11, 2008, 08:53:23 PM
Quote from: ZeldaTheSwordsman on October 02, 2008, 11:50:40 PM
It isn't. I've looked at the pictures of the dairy van, and it's built very differently from the cattle truck. I happen to own Thomas the Tank Engine: The Complete Collection, so I have access to the stories and illustrations whenever, which has helped me out of a fair few tight spots.
Stop acting like you know it all. :P I have the book too and its very close enough. You're wasting your time.
off topic sparks this has nothing to do with the thread please check your PM I've posted you something I really want you to see ;D EDIT: sorry for double post

ZeldaTheSwordsman

Well, Lady should be rolling soon. I've had some setbacks, and college took priority, but I'm back on the ball now. Don't expect much in the way of pictures for a while, though.

AJWPRODUCTIONS

Quote from: ZeldaTheSwordsman on January 24, 2011, 01:50:13 AM
Well, Lady should be rolling soon. I've had some setbacks, and college took priority, but I'm back on the ball now. Don't expect much in the way of pictures for a while, though.
ok sounds good thanks for the PM as well EDIT:Zelda as you may know I'm a rookie around here

ZeldaTheSwordsman

Quote from: Sparks on December 31, 2008, 09:11:14 PM
Awdrys home layout was most accurate to the Railway Series, and he used LMS Suburban coaches to make Annie and Clarabel, or to at least look like LMS. There is no argument. Its a fact. They are, and there's no denying it.

I was saying nothing of Thomas. Kennedys illustrations were wrong still.

Okay, so, upon further research and a fresh look at TRLOTTTE it turns out the models on Awdry's layout are actually LNER Suburban coaches. The factory ones that replaced the original scratchbuilds were made by Edward Exley models.

Here's a recent project, a Wooden Railway model of Jinty (aand of course I picked the wrong version of the BR logo to use, will have to redo that):