Converting the G-scale 38-Ton Two-Truck from oil fired to coal fired.

Started by FrankO, March 09, 2007, 02:28:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

FrankO

The #82199 G-scale 38-Ton Two-Truck came configured as an oil-fired unit (although parts to convert the tender to coal-fired came with the unit).

How do I remove the Tender from the Chassis so as to install the coal parts???  Do I have to remove the lamp and sand unit that is attached at the back of the tender??? 

Any help would be appreciated.

Jon D. Miller

The tender shell is held in place with a Phillps head screw located under the water hatch cover.

Pry the hatch cover off.  Use a long shank Phillips screw driver to remove the screw.

The ladder and rear sander tank are attached to the shell and will come off with the tender.

Once Phillips screw is removed, raise the rear of the tender shell slightly. There are two small tabs at the front of the tender shell that engage the floor of the locomotive.  With the shell raised slightly at the rear the two front tabs can be disengaged and the shell lifted off.

Be careful, there is a cast weight at the back of the tender shell.  This weight will, in most cases, slip out just about the time you pick the shell up off the chassis.  The weight is heavy so if it falls out it could cause damage to the locomotive or your foot if it landed on either.

There are two wires going to the backup light.  There will be enough slack in the wires to allow you to make the change to the coal load without disconnecting the wires.  Just be careful and don't pull them loose.

That's it. Reverse the procedure to install the tender tank.

Poster Child (unofficial & uncompensated)

rperego

Be careful lifting off the shell - in the one I just bought the wires went around the weight causing the weight to try to stay with the shell.