News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Gas-Mech minimum radius?

Started by velotrain, September 30, 2008, 02:29:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

velotrain

Could you tell me what the minimum radius of the gas mechanical is?  I noticed someone earlier asked for info on minimum radius on all new engines and you said they were often still in engineering so it couldn't always be provided.

Also - do you ever produce/sell just the mechanism?  I'm sure a lot of folks would be interested in this one especially.  If so, how do I go about getting one?

Charles

Kevin Strong

The gas-mechanical's axles are on the order of 2" apart, so it will have absolutely no problem on the tightest commercially available curves. (That's 2' radius, 4' diameter.) If you were looking to bend your own curves to even tighter dimensions, I've seen such small critters have no problem on 1' radius curves.

Later,

K

velotrain

Thanks Kevin - I was indeed considering going sharper, but suspected that the flanges become the controlling issue.  However, I've considered widening the track gauge on the curves.

Charles

Greg Elmassian

Just a note, for the record on commercially available curves.

You can get 20" and 31" DIAMETER sectional track from Aristo. I think it's 4 sections per circle, and you can only buy the entire circle.

That's 10" and 15.5" radius just to be clear.

Part numbers are ART11140 and ART11145 respectively.

Regards, Greg
Visit my site: lots of tips and techniques: http://www.elmassian.com

Flare

This is the the On30 gas mechanical, but its on such a tiny circle of track that it may bring some amusement to you:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bkTsQatRjMc

I'm guessing that circle is 6 inches wide, and my math says that a G gauge equivalent would be 16.3125 inches.

Loco Bill Canelos

Some years ago I saw a large scale gas mechanical going around the edge of a large planter.  I remember it was pulling a couple of small cars.  The track was heavily modified and the couplers on the cars were modified so as not to bind.
Loco Bill,  Roundhouse Foreman
Colorado & Kansas Railway-Missouri Western Railway
Official Historian; Bachmann Large Scale
Colorado RR Museum-Brakeman-Engineer-Motorman-Trainman
There are no dumb or stupid questions, just questions!

charon

Loco Bill,
The track you saw going around the planter was made by Aristocraft, it was four sections of 15 !/2" radius track that made the 31" diameter circle with their standard code 332 rails and ties.  A couple of years ago I sent you pix of my layout using this track. My Bachmann 45 ton diesels worked fine on this using Kadee couplers and the Davenport worked as well.
Take care,
Chuck
Mesquite Short Line

Loco Bill Canelos

Chuck,

I do remember the one you refer to, but the one I saw was smaller than that, and  used a square planter as a base.  Not sure the one I saw could have handled a 45 tonner, I know a 45 tonner would not have fit thru the tipple area since the Davenport barely cleared it.  It was done in a mining scheme, and was highly detailed with scale scratch built mine structures including a hoist house. The Davenport was modified with interesting details, was heavily weathered, and was pulling two Bachmann dump cars. Not sure what the size of the track was, but it was definitely modified and spiked to real wooden ties. It was either at a local show in St Louis, or at the Narrow gauge convention held there, the one you refer to I saw at the York Show and also at the last National in Denver.  The builder of the smaller one used fixed drawbars on the cars.  I suspect it was inspired by the larger one, but I never got to talk to the builder.  It seemed to run fine.

I remember your pictures, and guess I forgot you were using a 45 tonner on your layout. 

All the best to you and hope you are having fun with your trains.

Bill
Loco Bill,  Roundhouse Foreman
Colorado & Kansas Railway-Missouri Western Railway
Official Historian; Bachmann Large Scale
Colorado RR Museum-Brakeman-Engineer-Motorman-Trainman
There are no dumb or stupid questions, just questions!