News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Spectrum 2-10-2 DCC

Started by WGL, October 02, 2008, 02:23:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

WGL

I don't have any steam locos.  What's the sharpest curve the 2-10-2 will run?

pdlethbridge

Probably 22" radius. It wouldn't look good on anything less.

ebtbob

Good Morning All,

It is my experience that whatever the stated minimum radius is,   figure on 2 inches more,  therefor,  22in is really 24 inch.
     A 2-10-2 will operate better on 24 or greater radii if it is an engine such as those offered by Bachmann,  BLI,  and Walthers.   If you have a brass engine,  the my guess is a 28-30 inch radius will be needed.
Bob Rule, Jr.
Hatboro, Pa
In God We Trust
Not so much in Congress
GATSME MRRC - www.gatsme.org

pdlethbridge

I'll see your 30" and raise you 32" ;D ;D

Yampa Bob

I agree 22" is minimum, 24" even better.

One overlooked aspect of a trailing truck loco is the distance from the rear driver to the drawbar pivot/end of cab. I tried a Mikado on my 18" track, rounding a curve it literally yanked the tender sideways off the rails as the cab swung outward. It looked bad, not to mention the engineer getting whiplash. 

It had some other problems, so I returned the thing for refund.

The 2-10-2 is a great looking loco, but for a first steamer, I recommend the 2-8-0 Connie.  The UP version #83607 has Stephenson valve gear, much easier to work on. Sometimes smaller is better.
I know what I wrote, I don't need a quote
Rule Number One: It's Our Railroad.  Rule Number Two: Refer to Rule Number One.

pdlethbridge

You could also get the 4-4-0. I just got my spectrum and it runs great. It would look okay on 18" radius curves but larger are always better. Hidden tracks could be smaller radii, no less than the curve your biggest engine can handle, but visible curves should always be broader for a good appearance.

Pacific Northern

Quote from: WGL on October 02, 2008, 02:23:50 AM
I don't have any steam locos.  What's the sharpest curve the 2-10-2 will run?

From the Model Railroader review August 2006 issue.

Bachmann's HO USRA light 2-10-2

This powerful HO 2-10-2 may be called a "light" 2-10-2, but it's still a big steam locomotive by most model railroad standards. For its size, this new Bachmann locomotive is surprisingly flexible and capable of negotiating 18"-radius curves. A factory installed automatic dual-mode decoder allows it to operate on either DC or DCC (Digital Command Control).

I forgot to include the portion dealing with the DCC slow speed , this engine was rated at a .3 mph

I agree that the 18" radius just does not look right - looks awful, but if you want the engine you can run it on 18" if you have too.  My layout has two 18" curves that I have more or less hidded but they are there and the 2-10-2's handle the trackwork without problems. 

Also with 18" you do need to worry about clearances as well.........
Pacific Northern

WGL

Thanks everyone, for your advice & expertise.  Thanks for the review, Pacific Northern.  I was wondering whether or not to bid on a Spectrum 2-10-2 DCC DM&IR on eBay.  I have 2 ovals, the inner with 18"r & the outer with 22"r.
  I'm interested in the era of the 1930s & '40s.  Since steam locos with DCC cost more than diesels, I am looking carefully at prices.  I'd prefer a Great Northern, something that would have hauled freight or 100-200 iron ore cars, but models of certain railways seem to be more available & cheaper at the moment.

GN.2-6-8-0

You might care to look at the new Blueline USRA heavy Mikado by Broadway Limited Imports it comes in the GN.Glacer green scheme numbered for class O-3 2-8-2 no.3202.
Its sound equipped and DCC ready meaning it runs on DC right out of the box AND' its on sale on their website and at Factory Direct Trains.
BLIs blueline sound is outstand by the way.
So if your really interested in GN.steam its a bargain.
Rocky Lives

grumpy

I have a 2-10-2 and all my curves are 18" . It is a great engine and unless you are a rivet counter looks good on the curves. The 2-10-0 will go around the 18"curves but has to fight its way around .
Don

WGL

Thanks, GN2-6-8-0!  I'll check that loco out!  I might prefer DC with sound to DCC without, as long as I have one DC address on my E-Z Command.
Thanks, Grumpy.  I wouldn't be as fussy as purists about how it looked, if it managed the curves.

Pacific Northern

Quote from: WGL on October 02, 2008, 07:58:37 PM
Thanks everyone, for your advice & expertise.  Thanks for the review, Pacific Northern.  I was wondering whether or not to bid on a Spectrum 2-10-2 DCC DM&IR on eBay.  I have 2 ovals, the inner with 18"r & the outer with 22"r.
  I'm interested in the era of the 1930s & '40s.  Since steam locos with DCC cost more than diesels, I am looking carefully at prices.  I'd prefer a Great Northern, something that would have hauled freight or 100-200 iron ore cars, but models of certain railways seem to be more available & cheaper at the moment.

Since you mentioned GN I should adivse you that the IHC 2-10-2 steam engine is availble with the Vandy tender. 

There have been good reviews of this engine, and unlike most IHC engines does come with a fair amount of detail.  In fact I just bought one as it was just too good a deal to pass up.
Pacific Northern

SteamGene

The IHC outpulls the Spectrum. 
Gene
Chief Brass Hat
Virginia Tidewater and Piedmont Railroad
"Only coal fired steam locomotives"

Yampa Bob

Have you made comparison pulling tests? I would be interested in the results. I bought an IHC Mikado, the performance was terrible, and the detailing was non existent.  I might just have received a dud, but I sent it back.  Not a very good first impression.
I know what I wrote, I don't need a quote
Rule Number One: It's Our Railroad.  Rule Number Two: Refer to Rule Number One.

Frisco

Quote from: Yampa Bob on October 03, 2008, 04:54:33 PM
Have you made comparison pulling tests? I would be interested in the results. I bought an IHC Mikado, the performance was terrible, and the detailing was non existent.  I might just have received a dud, but I sent it back.  Not a very good first impression.
The older locomotives have no detail(even the new ones have only about as much as standard Bachmann) but from all my lcomotives I have from them they run great. I have a 2-10-2 in Frisco  a 4-6-2 in Chessie( I didn't know that the Chessie Steam Special was pulled by a T-1 when I bought it) a 2-8-0 in Santa Fe and a 2-6-0 in Central Vermont. I have gotten the 2-10-2 to pull 45 cars on 22" curves up a .5% grade before it started to slip. Now it just needs a sound decoder. All of them run well although the 2-10-2 runs the best. The new 2-8-2 and 4-6-2 have better details(about as good as the 2-10-2), have RP-25 wheel flanges and are DCC ready. You can see a review of the new 2-8-2 in the latest issue (November 2008) of Model Railroader.