Previous topic - Next topic

Pacific Northern

Quote from: SteamGene on October 03, 2008, 04:38:14 PM
The IHC outpulls the Spectrum. 
Gene

Not so, according to Model Railroader review see excerpts of reviews

2-10-2 Spectrum - Reviewed by Model Railroader August 2006

Drawbar pull: 3.7 ounces, 52 free-rolling freight cars on straight, level track

Engine and tender weight: 20 ounces (engine alone is 15 ounces)
Minimum radius: 18"

There are no traction tires, but the 2-10-2 produced sufficient tractive effort to pull 52 free-rolling cars on straight and level track.

Bachmann's new USRA light 2-10-2 offers good looks and excellent performance.

IHC - Reviewed March 2007 Model Railroader excerpt

Sample produced a drawbar pull of 3.2 ounces. That's equivalent to 45 free-rolling freight cars on straight and level track.
Pacific Northern

Yampa Bob

Then according to MR standards, "free rolling cars" must be defined as requiring only .0711 ounce of pull per car.  That seems very low.

I'm curious about their test procedure / instruments.

I know what I wrote, I don't need a quote
Rule Number One: It's Our Railroad.  Rule Number Two: Refer to Rule Number One.

pdlethbridge

Its really not important. Its still a lot of cars and more than all but a few would ever even try it. Most of our layouts are small, 4x8 to 6x10, where you would have, at most, a dozen cars and a crummie.

Yampa Bob

I realize there is fierce competition among locomotive manufacturers, but I can't see defining a standard down to a precise .0711 ounce. 

I think that equates to "a pinch of salt" if you get my drift.

Did the tests consider motor efficiency, torque, gear ratios, friction in motor bearings, gears, axles, castings, current draw, lubrication, weight distribution, etc?

I would call it a draw.  :D

pdlethbridge

Maybe you should just round off the number to .08 or, better yet, .1

Pacific Northern

Quote from: Pacific Northern on October 02, 2008, 02:13:27 PM
Quote from: WGL on October 02, 2008, 02:23:50 AM
I don't have any steam locos.  What's the sharpest curve the 2-10-2 will run?

From the Model Railroader review August 2006 issue.

Bachmann's HO USRA light 2-10-2

This powerful HO 2-10-2 may be called a "light" 2-10-2, but it's still a big steam locomotive by most model railroad standards. For its size, this new Bachmann locomotive is surprisingly flexible and capable of negotiating 18"-radius curves. A factory installed automatic dual-mode decoder allows it to operate on either DC or DCC (Digital Command Control).

I forgot to include the portion dealing with the DCC slow speed , this engine was rated at a .3 mph

I agree that the 18" radius just does not look right - looks awful, but if you want the engine you can run it on 18" if you have too.  My layout has two 18" curves that I have more or less hidded but they are there and the 2-10-2's handle the trackwork without problems. 

Also with 18" you do need to worry about clearances as well.........

May as well add in the rest of the competition

Proto Heritage Reviewed June 2007

Drawbar pull: without traction tires, 3.7 ounces (52 cars on straight and level track); with traction tires, 200 cars

BLI Reviewed Jan 2007

With its traction tires in place, this 2-10-2's drawbar pull is equivalent to 80 free-rolling freight cars on straight level track. Even without the traction tires, using the optional driver set included, the engine handles about 40 cars.
Drawbar pull: 2.88 ounces,
5.44 ounces with traction tire
Engine and tender weight: 27.5
ounces (engine alone weighs
21.5 ounces)

Pacific Northern

SteamGene

Bob,
I don't have the data, but trust me, the IHC outpulls the Spectrum in the 2-10-2 format.  It's not going to be soon, but perhaps I'll do a test.
Gene
Chief Brass Hat
Virginia Tidewater and Piedmont Railroad
"Only coal fired steam locomotives"

Yampa Bob

Thanks Gene
I guess I have more confidence in actual modeler's experiences than I do in the magazines. That's why I ran my own current tests recently.

I noticed all the MR reviews were around 40-50 cars, with an average of 47. I suppose this is significant to someone who runs lots of cars, but since I usually pull only 10-15 cars, it's not an important issue to me.

Has anyone ever seen a bad review in MR?  I wouldn't know as I don't buy magazines.

WGL

GN.2-6-8-0.
  That Blueline 2-8-2 Mikado Great Northern is a handsome locomotive!  With DC sound & DCC ready, it compares in price with IHC's 2-10-2 DCC-ready Great Northern.  Counting wheels, I'm guessing that it is more suited to sharper curves than the 2-10-2.  I couldn't find a Bachmann 2-10-2 Great Northern.

pdlethbridge

The wheel base is shorter and the loco will go through sharper curves, but 18" should be the absolute minimum with larger radii used where ever possible. Not only will it run better but it will look better

Pacific Northern

Quote from: WGL on October 04, 2008, 02:43:30 AM
GN.2-6-8-0.
  That Blueline 2-8-2 Mikado Great Northern is a handsome locomotive!  With DC sound & DCC ready, it compares in price with IHC's 2-10-2 DCC-ready Great Northern.  Counting wheels, I'm guessing that it is more suited to sharper curves than the 2-10-2.  I couldn't find a Bachmann 2-10-2 Great Northern.

There is no GN Spectrum USRA 2-10-2 unfortunately. 

http://www.steamlocomotive.com/misc/usra.shtml

I agree the BLI 2-8-2 in the GN livery is a great engine but be aware the street price is more than the ICH if you check around.  But if you did pay more you would as indicated be getting a steamer with sound.  I would opt for the BLI on your layout.
Pacific Northern

Pacific Northern

Quote from: SteamGene on October 03, 2008, 10:19:52 PM
Bob,
I don't have the data, but trust me, the IHC outpulls the Spectrum in the 2-10-2 format.  It's not going to be soon, but perhaps I'll do a test.
Gene

I would be interested in your findings.

A few  weeks ago I purchased a IHC 2-10-2 and did a test with my Spectrum 2-10-2. 

I can not remember which rolling stock exactly I used so the exact weight of the cars is unknown.  Note that I have not set my car weights to conform to any standard.   However, the Spectrum pulled two more cars in the consist I set up using freight cars and one extra car on a consist of Heavyweight passenger cars.

This was not on a level track and my layout has a 2% and a 3% grade on it.

I made no adjustments for any variables, simply pulled the same consist with each engine until it started to slip.  The starting positions for each engine were set to the same point.

The grades certainly reduced the number of cars that each engine could pull without slipping from the number indicated by Model Railroader. In both cases it was less that 1/3 of what had been reported for level pulling.

Pacific Northern

GN.2-6-8-0

Factory Direct Trains has the GN. Mike listed at $174.99 Bit more than the IHC unit but you get sound +outstanding service... BLI wins hands down.  ;D
Rocky Lives

Pacific Northern

Quote from: GN.2-6-8-0 on October 04, 2008, 07:38:43 PM
Factory Direct Trains has the GN. Mike listed at $174.99 Bit more than the IHC unit but you get sound +outstanding service... BLI wins hands down.  ;D

Klien has them cheaper, note that there is a QC problem as reported from
Tony's Trains.

http://www.tonystrains.com/tonystips/2008/091908.htm

http://www.tonystrains.com/technews/bline_prog_reports.htm

Pacific Northern

WGL

Thanks for the advice on wheelbase & quality of engine.  I looked up the Mikado on Wikipedia & learned that it was very popular & used up to the end of steam.
  I muffed a chance to buy the Blueline GN Heavy Mikado from an eBay store last night for $150 with free shipping.  Pacific Northern, thanks for the tip:  I just bought one from MBKlein for $150 + $10 shipping.  I have gotten good buys from them several times in the past.  Once, they sent the wrong locomotive (DC, instead of DCC), signed off by 2 inspectors, so I hope they get this one correct (after the boss chewed their butts).  I'll probably just test it & then have to put it away for Christmas.
  I did read the report on DCC decoder problems, but I think I'll just run it as the one DC loco from my E-Z Command.