News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Spectrum 2-10-2 DCC

Started by WGL, October 02, 2008, 02:23:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pacific Northern

Too bad about the one that got away on e-bay.

I was lucky enough to find one of the first release GN Mikes in the Green livery, paid a bit more,but it come with DCC installed and Quantum sound.

I never buy anything without first checking with MB Klien, have never had a problem with them. That sure must have been a disappointment to have received a DC engine instead of the DCC which you ordered.  Oh welll, we are only human.

Pacific Northern

Pacific Northern

Quote from: WGL on October 05, 2008, 02:33:38 AM
Thanks for the advice on wheelbase & quality of engine.  I looked up the Mikado on Wikipedia & learned that it was very popular & used up to the end of steam.
  I muffed a chance to buy the Blueline GN Heavy Mikado from an eBay store last night for $150 with free shipping.  Pacific Northern, thanks for the tip:  I just bought one from MBKlein for $150 + $10 shipping.  I have gotten good buys from them several times in the past.  Once, they sent the wrong locomotive (DC, instead of DCC), signed off by 2 inspectors, so I hope they get this one correct (after the boss chewed their butts).  I'll probably just test it & then have to put it away for Christmas.
  I did read the report on DCC decoder problems, but I think I'll just run it as the one DC loco from my E-Z Command.

Just so you know the EZ Command can JUST BARLEY handle the electrical load required for sound.
Pacific Northern

SteamGene

The reason why Spectrum doesn't have a Great Northern 2-10-2 is simply that Great Northern didn't have any USRA light 2-10-2s.  I don't even know if Great Northern had ANY 2-10-2s.  IHC still puts road names of railroads who never ran tht particular locomotive.  For instance, it has C&O on both its light Mike and light Pacific.  But C&O never had any USRA Pacifics of any sort and the only USRA light Mikes it had came from the PM and didn't last long at all.
Gene
Chief Brass Hat
Virginia Tidewater and Piedmont Railroad
"Only coal fired steam locomotives"

SteamGene

GN did. 

CLASS Q * SANTA FE * 2-10-2

Designed for heavy freight service, the 2-10-2 Santa Fe was known as a class Q engine on the Great Northern. No. 2100, a Q-1, was the first of 30 built for GN by Baldwin in 1923. Not shown in the builder's photo is the Franklin booster engine which was later applied by the railway. The conical boiler with Belpaire firebox and the Vanderbilt tender carrying 15,000 gallons of water and 25 tons of coal were intriguing features. Overall design was simple and clean, and is an excellent representation of heavy freight power of the period.

Not a USRA design. 

Gene
Chief Brass Hat

Pacific Northern

Quote from: WGL on October 05, 2008, 02:33:38 AM
Thanks for the advice on wheelbase & quality of engine.  I looked up the Mikado on Wikipedia & learned that it was very popular & used up to the end of steam.
  I muffed a chance to buy the Blueline GN Heavy Mikado from an eBay store last night for $150 with free shipping.  Pacific Northern, thanks for the tip:  I just bought one from MBKlein for $150 + $10 shipping.  I have gotten good buys from them several times in the past.  Once, they sent the wrong locomotive (DC, instead of DCC), signed off by 2 inspectors, so I hope they get this one correct (after the boss chewed their butts).  I'll probably just test it & then have to put it away for Christmas.
  I did read the report on DCC decoder problems, but I think I'll just run it as the one DC loco from my E-Z Command.

Check it out the engine is indeed prototype, USRA 2-8-2, O3 series

http://www.steamlocomotive.com/mikado/gn3200.jpg

Pacific Northern

SteamGene

For the Great Northern, 2-8-2s were Class O while 2-10-2s were Class Q.  The GN had several sub classes in O - up through O-8, I believe while only one Class Q, 30 non-USRA 2-10-2s. 
Gene
Chief Brass Hat

richG

Here is a link to some Great Norther 2-8-2 info. I have found out that Google books has an extensive collection of books. Some you can download or subscribe to Google and store the books in a online Google library.
I happen to have a Google web based email service.
I search out and find a lot of info concerning the 1900 railroad era, air pumps, arc lamps, car heating, etc.
http://books.google.com/books?q=great+northern+2-8-2&btnG=Search+Books

Rich

GN.2-6-8-0

Quote from: SteamGene on October 05, 2008, 05:49:21 PM
GN did. 

CLASS Q * SANTA FE * 2-10-2

Designed for heavy freight service, the 2-10-2 Santa Fe was known as a class Q engine on the Great Northern. No. 2100, a Q-1, was the first of 30 built for GN by Baldwin in 1923. Not shown in the builder's photo is the Franklin booster engine which was later applied by the railway. The conical boiler with Belpaire firebox and the Vanderbilt tender carrying 15,000 gallons of water and 25 tons of coal were intriguing features. Overall design was simple and clean, and is an excellent representation of heavy freight power of the period.

Not a USRA design. 

Gene
There also was the class Q2 2-10-2 which were rebuilds of the early P1 class 4-8-2 mountains...
I would have to class the BLI GN. USRA as built ,note the lack of westinghouse dual compound air pumps of the smokebox,no GN.headlight and the turbo generator before the stack I found a picture of 3202 taken in 1946 in my Railroad History 143 the GN. motive power bible showing those appliances with the exception of the TG. It should be back in front of the cab. oh'and the straight non sport cab is correct   

Gene
Rocky Lives

pdlethbridge

Remember, the whole idea of model railroading is to have fun. If someone wants a particular loco on his railroad, Whats to stop him from having it. Rivet counting is fun, for some people, I have no problem with that, It's not for everybody. If I want a big boy on my 4 x 8 layout, its there because I, the owner of the railroad, desire it. You guys, and gals, have a vast knowledge of the hobby and are great at sharing that knowledge, and we thank you for it.

WGL

Thanks for the info & link, Pacific Northern.  I began to think I'd wasted my money on the E-Z Command 5 amp booster, because it seems to add nothing to the performance of my F7A-B DCC with sound units & my Spectrum SD45 with DCC running simultaneously.  Maybe the Mikado DC with sound will make use of the booster.
  I need to look up what Jim Banner wrote about the various ways how DC sound is run.
  Thanks for the link, RichG.
pdlethbridge,
  I agree:  each of us is the boss of his railroad, deciding what proportions of realism & imagination we want.  Presently, I'm using a lot of imagination for my scenery.

pdlethbridge

So do I. I imagine I have lots of money to spend ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

WGL

I got my Spectrum 2-10-2 DM&IR today.  Since I was mistaken about the 4-8-4 being a Spectrum, I'd forgotten that the 2-10-2 is, especially since it is priced lower.  I was surprised that the driving wheels of the 2-10-2 are much smaller than on the 4-8-4, giving the 2-10-2 a shorter distance across the drivers:  3.5" compared to 4".  Another difference is that the 4-8-4 has no engineer or fireman, but the Spectrums have.  Maybe, the 2-10-2 will steer better.   :D

Does anyone know why a tiny bag with about a teaspoon of fine sand is included?  Is it to throw on the rails, or might it be an authentic sample of Mesabi Iron Range iron ore?   ;)

Yampa Bob

I had to go back to the October post to see what the heck we're talking about.

If the stuff in the little bag is black, it's simulated coal dust. Pour it over the coal load or whatever. 

I'm still waiting for drawbar force test results on the IHC. All these locos have pretty much the same puny motors and drive systems for similar models.

By the way, if you want any Spectrum 2-8-0 DCC non-sound, better get them while you can.  Bachmann dropped the entire line of Connies except for four with sound.  The non sound is now only available in sets. I don't know when it was first introduced, but it has enjoyed a very long production run.

The USRA Medium tenders are also history. That's too bad, I enjoy chopping them up for custom tenders and powered canteens. I've never been especially fond of Vandys.
I know what I wrote, I don't need a quote
Rule Number One: It's Our Railroad.  Rule Number Two: Refer to Rule Number One.

Pacific Northern

Yampa Bob, Model Railroader had a review of this IHC 2-10-2 engine in their Oct 2007 edition.

"Performance. The mechanism of our sample 2-10-2 was a little stiff at first, so I blocked it up and ran it for five minutes to help seat the motor brushes. Back on the rails, it started at 7 scale miles per hour and ran smoothly and quietly throughout its speed range. The model's top speed of 60 mph is close to a typical prototype 2-10-2's maximum of 55 mph.
Our sample produced a drawbar pull of 3.2 ounces. That's equivalent to 45 free-rolling freight cars on straight and level track.

Plenty of potential. Now that I've seen how well this 2-10-2 performs, I think it offers a lot of potential for new modelers and those with their own freelanced layouts. These models can easily be modified to produce a roster of big, distinctive home road steam locomotives.

While the model follows no specific prototype, its smooth-running mechanism and familiar lines capture the brutish look and power of a 2-10-2 drag engine."

A fairly good review, especially given the price. Too bad Mehano went bankrupt, hopefully someone will take over, otherwise the low end of the market will be gone.
Pacific Northern

HO-Ron

I began to think I'd wasted my money on the E-Z Command 5 amp booster, because it seems to add nothing to the performance of my F7A-B DCC with sound units & my Spectrum SD45 with DCC running simultaneously.  Maybe the Mikado DC with sound will make use of the booster.

I am not sure what the performance increase that you were looking for...???
The booster only gives you the ability to run more locomotives. It does nothing to increase the performance of the ones you already have running.
Engines don't make use of the booster unless there are so many of them on the rails that "suck up" all the current your current supply has.
Hope this makes some sense.
HO-Ron
Regards, Ron