HOplasserem80c

i was wondering what other cars tyco makes that are memorbillia i have

cambles soup
oscar mayer
jello
c&h sugar
baby ruth

Matt Bumgarner

Not much. Tyco stuff is generally considered junk by even the most novice of model railroaders. You would get more money at a toy show than a hobby show for the items. The Tyco market is mostly for someone waxing nostaligic than modeling. A good gauge of prices online is ebay. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, as I have a soft spot for Tyco. My first diesel/set was a Tyco GP20 in 1970. Still have the loco, caboose, and "El Capitan" boxcar. I have numerous other Tyco memories- a Santa Fe switcher set bought with Green Stamps- the multitude of bicentinniel locos and Spirit of America old time set I got from my Mom one Xmas when I thought I was forgotten about- and so many more. Sadly, Tyco made better memories than models.

Woody Elmore

There is a Tyco collector's website - I ran across it once. Tyco started as Mantua, then Mantua added a train set line called Tyco. The Tyler family (Tyco is from Tyler Co.) then sold the line to a company who made really junky stuff. The Mantua name came back briefly. Some of the Mantua engines are being re-released by Model Power.

Tyco produced cars in the thousands so most cars are neither "rare" or "vintage" or "collectible." They were trainset entry level items.

I laugh at people on Ebay trying to sell the notorious Chattanooga Choo-Choo as a collector's item.

The metal steamers ran well, even with the little slant motor, and these may have some value to people for parts.

For most serious collectors the Tyco products are curiosities.

Virginian

Or, how about a collection of nostalgic special Tyco tools !?  I found a good deal on one ! :'(

http://www.northerntool.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_6970_34890_34890

I think now people are just trying to rake muck by continuing to bring up Tyco.  Those who cherish it; more power to you.  Have you looked on ebay?  they have tons of Tyco stuff, and a lot of it is really rare (if you doubt it just look).
"What could have happened... did."

brad

LOL I have a tool like that, but it's for people who insist on runnning Tyco and Model power on the club layout at train shows and grinding everything to a halt every 2 minutes. :D
I drempt, I planned, I'm building

Woody Elmore

I just looked through nine Ebay pages and don't see anything that is really rare or unique. I've collected most versions of the Mantua-Tyco steamers and I check Ebay regularly looking for Mantua  or Tyco steamers.

Just because somebody finds something new in a box at a garage sale does not make it vintage, rare or unique. Check the Ebay ads for LGB G Gauge track. Somebody is selling a box of track that is "vintage new (whatever that means!)"

I don't mean to disparage anyone who collects Tyco. There were so many versions over the years that someone could assemble quite a colorful collection and do so rather inexpensivel. The problem is that the Tyco made in China was really awful and it gave Tyco a name that it couldn't live down. The locomotives were notorious for running like rockets (if they ran at all).

A friend collects older Mantua metal cars, the ones with loop couplers, these care are definitely rare and vintage.

Nigel

Quote from: HOplasserem80c on March 09, 2007, 10:53:13 PM
i was wondering what other cars tyco makes that are memorbillia i have

cambles soup
oscar mayer
jello
c&h sugar
baby ruth

You may want to take a look at:
http://tycotrain.tripod.com/tycotrains/

Make sure you scroll all the way down to "Promotional Set" on the left side.
Nigel
N&W 1950 - 1955

Jim Banner

I regularly run a very rare Tyco GP20 and it runs just fine.  I would even say it is one of the best runners I own, right up there with Spectrum and Proto 2000.  It has great low speed performance, runs very quiet, never stalls on turnout frogs or anywhere else for that matter, and it can pull a good string of cars, even up my winding 3.5% grades.  Maybe it's that Atlas chassis under hidden under the hood. :D :D
Growing older is mandatory but growing up is optional.

HOplasserem80c

what is so rare about it? can you post a picture

BIG BEAR

Thank-you for making me pull out the '71-'72 Tyco catalog from it's plastic sleeve. I just purchased this item 2 weeks ago at a swap meet.
     the only commercial items were Swift, Armour, & dairymen's league milk-
refers, Holly sugar- covered gon and dupont- tanker (put 24 in the wall every week) oh sorry lost control of the keys for a moment.
     I also purchased a coal unloading tressle set, from another vendor.
    While antiquing with my wife today, I found a Ralston purina car and a Dutch cleanser car both from Tyco.
    What is really amazing is how similar the Tyco & Bachmann crossing gates are to each other. 

Oh ya, I still occasionally run my sons GI Joe train set, alot of extra goodies in that set. Army men, tanks, Jeeps, boats, helecopters, for both sides. 

Barry,

...all the Live long day... If she'd let me.

brad

Quote from: HOplasserem80c on March 11, 2007, 12:20:18 AM
what is so rare about it? can you post a picture

It's a very rare ATLAS chassised Tyco engine. Only a few were ever produced and they are very hard to come by. They look exactly like a regular Tyco engine except for the side frames.

brad
I drempt, I planned, I'm building

RAM

Mantua steam locomotive were great 40 years ago.  How ever Tyco turned most of those into poor locomotives.  I never cared for mantua f units. I do have a few cars that I reworked.  They were given to me. 

tonycook1966

TYCO RULES!
There are those who have TYCO and those who bad mouth TYCO.   ;)

Visit my TYCO site and also take a moment to see my other "vintage" HO-scale sites...

www.ho-scaletrains.net
Tony Cook
HO-Scale Trains Resource
ho-scaletrains.net

JM

Plasser, you just don't get it do you?   ZIP!!! right over your head!   
I see TYCO rolling stock NIB on EBAY all the time for less than $2...some as low as $.99, some of the cars are well detailed and just need some better trucks and maybe some weight, I remember when they were sold at Murphys and K Mart and were like $2, so it's still a good deal, they might not be as detailed as some of the new high dollar cars....but they look good riding along behind some older geeps.

JM

Plasser, it's a TYCO GP20 with an Atlas frame and motor, Atlas is a top quality product....TYCO NEVER was!!  TYCO didn't use Atlas frames...get it now??