News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

DCC Controllers

Started by AGRTERP4LIFE, October 07, 2008, 09:29:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Running Bear

Quote from: Yampa Bob on October 19, 2008, 04:05:48 AM
When I run two locomotives on the same track, I keep a finger poised over the stop button and run very slow.

Recently I slowed the wrong loco and had a magnificent rear ender. I forgot to take a picture, cars jack knifed and some on their sides.
I did something similar and had one heck of a cornfield meet! Needless to say it got my attention instantly.
Running Bear

Jim Banner

The E-Z Command is an excellent system for doing what it is designed to do.  It allows someone to operate a few trains simultaneously and be able to instantly shift from driving one to driving another.  And it allows the user to do this without having to learn a whole lot about DCC.  In that regard, it is little different from radio, TV or computers.  We don't have to become Hams or tv techs or computer nerds to enjoy them.

However, there are situations where  more sophistication is required.  Already mentioned is being able to modify CVs in order to select or maximize various performance perameters.  Another situation is many people running many trains, each using his/her own throttle.  (Bob asked how you could run 6 trains at once - best answer is invite 5 good friends over and have a ball.)

Growing older is mandatory but growing up is optional.

sparkyjay31

I'd head to the local LHS and see if they have two or three different ones and give them all a try.  I did that and used the Bachmann, NCE, and Digitrax.

I wound up with the NCE powercab.  They all are good starter dcc sets and you cannot really go wrong with any of them!

Best of luck.
Southern New Hampshire around 1920 in HO
NCE Power Cab DCC
Long live B&M steam!

Rangerover

Quote from: WGL on October 19, 2008, 03:40:17 AM
Quote from: Rangerover on October 07, 2008, 10:27:00 AM
I run 6 trains at one time and it can get quite confusing at times. I normally run no more than 3 trains, that's enough for me to take care of.
Rangerover,
  How many tracks do you have for running 3-6 trains?  I have 2 concentric ovals connected by switches so that I can run 2 trains separately from my EZ Command Control.  I have tried running 3 trains, with 2 on the same track, but they require constant attention.  I may add a third oval to run 3 trains without worrying about collisions.

My pike is a total of 6 main lines, I have 4 on the top level, the longest run is 61 ft. It is U shaped with 2 subway lines under the table with access from the top/yard to the subway. Not including the mountain heights it is basically 4 ft table leg height. The subway is 9 inches below or 39 inches from the floor. I am rerouting my yard due to some very tight curves, when I finish that I will post some pics. I have a 15 stall roundhouse with turntable that I'm thinking about tearing out, nice to look at and draws attention, but a real Real Estate grabber. If I decide to remove it, I'll take pics before and after.

WGL

My longest run is 40.5' in a 7.5 x 15' layout; the inside track is 39'.  If I added a third track, it would have to go inside the 39' track.

unionpacific4

I use a broadway limited blueline ac6000 loco with the ez command, but i'm upset that I can't controll all of the great sound effects. The ez command  can't controll cv's, but if you buy one of those mrc boxes that let you controll dcc effects and cvs with dc power, you can set up a cv programming track.