Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

powered fright cars

Started by 77ron, October 14, 2008, 07:13:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

77ron

tring to find powered frigth cars

brokemoto

No one sells North American prototype powered freight cars in N scale.

There may have been one exception:  someone may have sold a brass nineteenth century set that had a mogul and some box cars.  One of  them was supposed to be powered.  I have never seen this set, but I have heard rumours of its existence.

Other than the above, there is no such animal in N scale, at least not North American prototype.

I make mine out of old Atlas fifty foot boxcars.  You can use Life-Like FA-2 chassis, either the split metal frame or the plastic frame.  The split metal frame is the better runner of the two, but the plastic frame is not bad, although it is dated.  Both are good pullers. 

You must make alterations to the boxcar.  If you use the metal frame chassis, you must add posts to which you can screw the MT couplers, as the metal frame has body mount couplers.  The plastic frame has truck mount couplers.

You can also use the old LL plastic frame F-unit chassis.

I have never tried to use B-mann SPECTRUM F-unit chassis, although I suppose that you could use those, as well.

I have had good results using the FA chassis and the Atlas boxcars.

Williamson

Quote from: 77ron on October 14, 2008, 07:13:39 PM
tring to find powered frigth cars

This guy sells a kit to make a powered express reefer:

http://www.randgust.com/prod04.htm

Mark

Retired

I know this message was put up some time ago, I got insterted so i check things out my self. You can buy a power motorized chassis -Tomix tomytec. which does not cost a lot it is built for N scale. It is made in China and work very well as a part of a motorized box car. The one I made has both couple types so in can use it with repo or Knuckler couplers. I used referagotor car wich was inch and three quarters. There are several different sizes to chose from that is the length the one I use has 4  wheel drive they make others that have eight wheel drive. the big cost is shiping you can buy one for $20.00 that includes shiping. You can use any couple that you want. they come with Amoldo couplers.