News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

ERTL Diecast cars in HO Scale

Started by chuff_n_puff, October 19, 2008, 04:46:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

chuff_n_puff

ERTL makes great diecast vehicles, but I was wondering why they do not have the most popular scale, HO! When I emailed them with that question, they replyed stating they could not accept any suggestions, by email, on any new product ideas! Most all their small small items are in 1:64 or S scale. I guess they are against making money!

Running Bear

Most of Ertl's product line is aimed at kids and not at people who might take them seriously.lol
Running Bear

Yampa Bob

If I was President of Ertl, I would fire the person who responded to your mail in that fashion.  For many years, Ertl has manufactured fine cast models of farm and construction equipment such as John Deere, Case/IH, Caterpillar, and New Holland.

http://www.ertl.com/brand/farm_const/2008/index.shtml

I have several John Deere models of our full size tractors, one is over a foot long with loader.  Ertl recently introduced a complete line of John Deere implements, pickups and service vehicles in HO scale, at very reasonable prices.

I bought 4 HO tractors with a key chain attached to the drawbar, for only $1.50 each.  The chain is easily removed, and the tractors look great on a flatbed.

Check with your local John Deere or other farm equipment dealer, K-Mart and Walmart, especially during the Christmas season.  Some car dealers, banks and auto insurance providers also have custom vehicles with logos for their customers.

I'm sure Ertl is well aware of the huge market for HO models.
I know what I wrote, I don't need a quote
Rule Number One: It's Our Railroad.  Rule Number Two: Refer to Rule Number One.

WoundedBear

ERTL is, I believe, still owned by Racing Champions......a diecast company. Their focus is on toys.

Most HO scale model vehicles are so small that they represent a choking hazard for youngsters. The larger S scaled models are safe enough for small children.

If you want well done, true HO models, I would suggest looking at Boley or Jordan for your layout.

Sid

Yampa Bob

Last week I was perusing the HO vehicles at Caboose Hobbies. Some we used to buy at the dime store for 25 cents are now selling for $10 or more, talk about inflation.

I have an old collection of Hot Wheels and Match Box cars.  They look pretty good on the layout provided you don't place them close to HO cars. I also have a bunch of old Aurora AFX HO slot cars, including some VW Bugs and 57 Nomads that I bashed into pickup trucks.
I know what I wrote, I don't need a quote
Rule Number One: It's Our Railroad.  Rule Number Two: Refer to Rule Number One.

Pacific Northern

Pacific Northern

ebtbob

Good Evening,

I am curious as to your problem with Ertl when there are so many other choices for HO scale vehicles -  to name a few - Athearn,  Mini Metals,  Woodland Scenics,  Boly,  Herpa,  Wiking and others.
      As a modeler in O scale narrow gauge,  I find myself wishing some of the other manufacturers of HO and N scale vehicles would join Athearn in doing either 1/50 or 1/48 scale vehiles.   In particular,  I would LOVE to see Woodland Senics and Mini Metals get into the act.

Bob
Bob Rule, Jr.
Hatboro, Pa
In God We Trust
Not so much in Congress
GATSME MRRC - www.gatsme.org

chuff_n_puff

Thanks for all the replys on ERTL vehicles. I have a Dukes Of Hazzard diorama in one section of my layout and any of their vehicles are impossible to find in HO. ERTL makes them in S scale however. I use them and keep HO scale items away from them, like the other guy said, and they don't look too bad. Another manufacturer that is getting hard to find in constuction equipment ,at a reasonable price, and that is Norscot. Walmart use to carry them in HO scale, at some stores, but it is hard to find them now. They had the motor grader for $5.95 that would cost you $18.95 anywhere else. They had about a dozen of them when I bought mine. I decided to go back and buy the rest and they were sold out when I got back there, the next week. They stated they could not get any more of them at that price.

grumpy

I have purchasing my HO scale vehicles from Diecast Direct . They have a pretty good selection of HO and O diecast vehicles . Some are too well detailed to not keep them on display.

WGL

I don't understand why our local Wal-Mart & Kmart have HO semi truck cabs but not trailers for them.  I asked clerks, & they said there is no label on the shelf for them to be ordered.
  I don't know why, when the price is about $18, HO semis marketed for model railroaders have trailers with back doors that don't open.  I found a Maisto Fresh Metal Highway Haulers semi with trailer & back doors that open at Walgreen's for $2.50.  It doesn't say HO but is very close, with a 40 HO' trailer.
  The Christmas toy department just opened at our local Fleet Farm, but I found no HO vehicles, just 3 different HO train sets by Walthers.