Results of desired On30 geared locomotive poll on On30 Consipracy

Started by ksivils, October 20, 2008, 05:14:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ksivils

Cutting and pasting the poll results was a little messy, but of the 80+ respondents, 46 voted for a Heisler as the next desired On30 geared locomotive they wanted to see from Bachmann, accounting for 56% of the votes.

The next most popular choice was a three truck shay with 18 votes, accounting for 21% of the votes.

I know Mr. Riley and the Bachmann may be getting tired of this, but I hear the chant, we want a Heisler, we want a Heisler! ;D

Question
Of the following geared locomotives to choose from, which do you think needs to be the next On30 geared locomotive produced for sale?

Responses
Choices  Votes  %  1 reply 
Heisler  46  56   
Different Climax than one currently available  2  2   
Dunkirk  9  10   
3 truck shay  7  8   
larger 2 truck shay  18  21   

SPONSOR RESULTS

Dusten Barefoot

Personally Im a 3 truck shay person when it comes to loggers, but I think that the heisler is the one that needs to be produced. I think that there is engough votes on the heisler to get it made, and enough people willing to buy it. ;D
Rock On!
Dusten
I know I pester the hell out of everone over a 4-6-0
E.T.&.W.N.C, TWEETSIE, LINVILLE.
www.tweetsierailroad.com
http://www.johnsonsdepot.com/crumley/tour1.htm
#12 and 10-Wheelers
Black River & Southern
Rock On & Live Strong
Dusten

Royce Wilson

Hey, what happened to the Mason Bogie! :o

Royce Wilson

Hamish K

Royce

Last time I looked Mason-Bogies were not geared locos! The poll was confined to geared locos so it says nothing about the popularity of geared locos vs others.

Hardly surprising that the Heisler should be the most popular geared loco request given Bachmann's existing Climax and Shay and that a 3 truck Shay was announced by another manufacturer. I rather like the idea of a class A Climax, but if I were Bachmann and making another geared loco my choice would be a Heisler.

Hamish

Royce Wilson

Sorry ;D    should have read before I typed...thanks Hamish.

Royce Wilson

Frisco

If there were to be another geard locomotive made my choice would be a three truck climax. I have always been a fan of the climax and a three truck one would fit my prefernce for larger motive power.

darryl1936

Lots of loggers like the four truck Shay and the Climax could be produced. An old time Climax would be interesting..    How about the 2-4-4-2 or 2-6-6-2 for a rod engine but then I digress....

The Old Fardt in Oregun

ksivils

If you desire a three truck Climax, visit Backwoods Miniatures website.  They sell a kit to convert the current Bachmann Climax into a three truck Climax.

I do not recall the price, but I have assembled several Backwoods Miniatures kits and ALL of them were top notch.  I am confident the same is true of this kit.

C.S.R.R. Manager

It would be interesting to do a survey for rod locos too.  I went through a list of wheel arrangements for narrow-gauge locos, and there are several that have not been produced yet.

By the way, I like the idea of a Heisler.  I have no interest in one personally, but after the new 4-4-0 and the 4-6-0, my train budget needs a break.

Manager

gmhtrains

While I agree that a Heisler would be a good addition in the next five or six years, and that a survey of rod locomotives would be worthwhile, why limit the survey of potential new motive power to steam locomotives? Two-, three- and four-axle "critters" are always popular, and Bachmann already has the GE 44-ton, 45-ton and 70-ton HO mechanisms. Or for something larger, Terratransport (Newfoundland) and White Pass & Yukon operated six-axle diesels well into the 1980's. Looking beyond internal combustion, how about straight electrics? My introduction to anything narrow gauge was a intra-plant tramway using former mine electric motors (two axle). I'm sure that Bachmann is always looking for accessories and add-ons as well as trains, so a simple "plug and play" catenary or single-wire trolley system would be a plus with a line of steeplecab electrics and Birney-style trolleys.

gmhtrains

Frisco

Quote from: ksivils on October 21, 2008, 10:38:19 AM
If you desire a three truck Climax, visit Backwoods Miniatures website.  They sell a kit to convert the current Bachmann Climax into a three truck Climax.

I do not recall the price, but I have assembled several Backwoods Miniatures kits and ALL of them were top notch.  I am confident the same is true of this kit.
Have  you put this kit together? I don't have a lot of skills so I would not want to buy it and not be able to put it together.

Frisco

Quote from: gmhtrains on October 21, 2008, 03:37:24 PM
While I agree that a Heisler would be a good addition in the next five or six years, and that a survey of rod locomotives would be worthwhile, why limit the survey of potential new motive power to steam locomotives? Two-, three- and four-axle "critters" are always popular, and Bachmann already has the GE 44-ton, 45-ton and 70-ton HO mechanisms. Or for something larger, Terratransport (Newfoundland) and White Pass & Yukon operated six-axle diesels well into the 1980's. Looking beyond internal combustion, how about straight electrics? My introduction to anything narrow gauge was a intra-plant tramway using former mine electric motors (two axle). I'm sure that Bachmann is always looking for accessories and add-ons as well as trains, so a simple "plug and play" catenary or single-wire trolley system would be a plus with a line of steeplecab electrics and Birney-style trolleys.

gmhtrains
It would be nice to get a ready made "critter", I know I could use a switcher. I think that the electric locomotives would be very neat, however because of the fact that they need cantenary to look proper and most of us don't have this its sales would probaly be pretty low.

finderskeepers

I'm still scratching my head as to why we got two 4-4-0's back to back. There were calls for a standard 4-4-0 like the Eureka or like the Disney engine, but as far as I know, nobody was begging for a Mt. Gretna engine, or a South American export engine. I think Bachmann would have been far further ahead to have made a heisler and a 2-6-2 tank engine instead.

Hamish K

Quote from: finderskeepers on October 22, 2008, 01:36:22 PM
I'm still scratching my head as to why we got two 4-4-0's back to back. There were calls for a standard 4-4-0 like the Eureka or like the Disney engine, but as far as I know, nobody was begging for a Mt. Gretna engine, or a South American export engine.

Actually I recall requests on this board for both the Mt Gretna locos and for the Brazilian locos, while there certainly were requests for larger locos such as the Eureka there were also requests for a small 4-4-0.

To return to the topic - with so many new rod locos out it probably is time for the next loco to be a geared loco.

Hamish

finderskeepers

I think that was my point Hamish, one of the 4-4-0s should have been a heisler.