Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

turntable

Started by canadapac, October 23, 2008, 09:32:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Daylight4449

just picked up an atlas myself

Yampa Bob

I just did some measuring, the only steam locomotive I have that will fit on the Atlas table is the diminutive Roundhouse vintage 2-8-0, and just barely. My GP40 and FT-A  will fit, but my new AC4400 will not.

As for Atlas' statement that a 90' version would cost as much as the Walthers; I find that hard to believe also.  Considering the type of construction, I would think in the area of $100 to $125 is more accurate, and there appears to be a fair demand for a larger surface mount turntable.  Of course I have no idea what it costs to tool up for a new product.

Bashing the Atlas has not been easy, due to my goal of not having to provide power to the table, only picking up power from the lead and exit rails so polarity is not an issue.  I have tried several wiper/contact schemes, so far nothing noteworthy. 

This topic comes up frequently, and seems to always end with the same conclusion, which is as Jim noted, either pay the price for a Walthers or build your own. (or do without).    
I know what I wrote, I don't need a quote
Rule Number One: It's Our Railroad.  Rule Number Two: Refer to Rule Number One.

pdlethbridge

They ( atlas ) all ready make a large turntable for O gauge, why not convert one to HO?

Pacific Northern

Quote from: SteamGene on October 25, 2008, 09:55:38 PM
Acemanjay,
You are not going to get a 2-10-2 on a stock Atlas table.  My USRA heavy fills up most of a 130 foot table and it has a USRA heavy tender, not a long haul.
Gene

the only spectrum steamers I can place on the Altas turntable is the 4-4-0 and the 4-6-0. I am advised that if I could find the tender from the Russian it would allow the Connie to fit as well. Just glad that I had the room for a wye and passing track.
Pacific Northern

acemanjay

im using a dcc system and i would like to add a turntable soon as ive said before the biggest loco i have now is a 2-10-2 and i would like a turntable that will work best for e-z track,dcc and my loco i am also looking for the sheds that go around the turntable i am somewhat of a newbee at this and im turning to learn as fast as i can and i thank everybody for there input on this post and all others ive started

SteamGene

A 2-10-2 will require a 130' table.  (Not actually, but the choice is 90' or 130'.  The 90 won't cut it. )  Walthers is the best, but costs the most.  If you want a less expensive one, contact me off list.  It can be cut to fit the 2-10-2 and save a bit of real estate.  OTOH, it will take a bunch of work on your part.
Gene
Chief Brass Hat
Virginia Tidewater and Piedmont Railroad
"Only coal fired steam locomotives"

Yampa Bob

Paul
Thanks, but the Atlas O is too large, and too rich for my blood.  For the $150 street price I could buy that new Power Cab. 

If you find one at a yard sale for, say $10, let me know.  :D  Cutting down something is easier than stretching it.  What I really need is a piece of white styrene 12" in diameter by 1/8" thick.  The outside ring is no problem.

A turntable isn't a high priority for me, I'm just determined to design a simpler one without all the wiring and polarity issues. 
I know what I wrote, I don't need a quote
Rule Number One: It's Our Railroad.  Rule Number Two: Refer to Rule Number One.

rogertra

Quote from: SteamGene on October 26, 2008, 10:34:08 PM
A 2-10-2 will require a 130' table.  (Not actually, but the choice is 90' or 130'.  The 90 won't cut it. )  Walthers is the best, but costs the most.  If you want a less expensive one, contact me off list.  It can be cut to fit the 2-10-2 and save a bit of real estate.  OTOH, it will take a bunch of work on your part.
Gene

My three GER 2-10-2s all fit on a the Walthers 90ft turntable but then again, I've kitbashed the tenders, as well as the locos but they do fit.  :-)

SteamGene

But would it fit with the USRA long tender?   ;)
Gene
Chief Brass Hat
Virginia Tidewater and Piedmont Railroad
"Only coal fired steam locomotives"

Mike CT

This is a Diamond Scale O-scale TT model OT 105 (105 scale feet) with a Weaver M1b with long haul tender.

Third Rail DM&IR 2-10-4 with large tender. 

You're probably right, 90 scale feet is not going to work on some of the larger engines  This is a scratch built turntable 33 1/2" or  134 scale feet.  A big boy will fit. 
This Pensy C1 0-8-0 looks small on the TT.

Diamond Scale and Bowser also makes HO TT as kits.

http://www.diamond-scale.com/products.htm

http://bowser-trains.com/hoother/ttables/ttables.htm

Paul M.

My Spectrum light 4-8-2 with the "medium" tender will work on a 90' turntable, but probably not anything much bigger than that.... I've heard that the heavy 4-8-2 won't fit, so the light loco seems to be about the limit.

-Paul

-Paul
[
www.youtube.com/texaspacific

rogertra

I was going to post some photos of my larger engines on the 90ft 'table but the camera batteries are flat and won't hold a charge.  :(

canadapac

has anyone here used a turntable with e-z track?

acemanjay

not yet but im planning on it one day and hopefully one that is dcc i would also like to know what kind of sheds people are using

canadapac

The atlas roundhouse is inexpensive and can house three trains.It doesnt look bad for the money. ;)