News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

DCC stopped

Started by SteamGene, October 24, 2008, 06:23:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SteamGene

I was using a Bachmann C&O K4 with an MRC Shear Brilliance (old model, I think) to push a track cleaning car.  It suddenly stopped - motor, sound, light.  However, when I turned track power off and then back on, I can hear a "click" as track power comes back on. 
Any suggestions? 
Gene
Chief Brass Hat
Virginia Tidewater and Piedmont Railroad
"Only coal fired steam locomotives"

Jim Banner

Gene, I suspect you have already tried another DCC locomotive on the track and that it works okay.  Have you also tried to reprogram the problem decoder?  It could be that it has just forgotten its address.  Otherwise, it could be a current "gotcha."   Sometimes we forget to do a stall current test before installing a decoder.  We may even get away with it for quite a while.  Then we do something that really makes the locomotive buckle down and work (long train, steep grade, cleaning car etc.)  The extra load increases the current enough to overload the decoder and "gotcha" - another burned out decoder.  More and more decoders are incorporating over current and short circuit protection, but yours may be old enough to not have it.

Personally, I have my fingers crossed that it is just a case of decoder amnesia.
Growing older is mandatory but growing up is optional.

SteamGene

Jim,
I haven't tried more locos on that section of track, but three others - at least - work fine in other areas.  I haven't tried the default restoration because its an MRC decoder.  If nothing else works, I'll try that. 
Gene
Chief Brass Hat
Virginia Tidewater and Piedmont Railroad
"Only coal fired steam locomotives"