News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

What's in a name?

Started by Yampa Bob, October 29, 2008, 12:44:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Yampa Bob

I think everyone knows I'm not a nit-picker about terminology, but I'm a bit concerned about the increasing use of the word "chip" when referring to a "decoder". Perhaps it is proper computerese, or maybe a new "slanguage" evolving from the newer generation.

I'm even seeing "chip" on technical web sites. Of course "chip" can refer to potato, wood, cow, off the old block, on a shoulder, poker, state trooper, etc. But if someone says he put a chip in his locomotive, well, gee can the "damage" be fixed?  :D

My personal feeling is that standard terminology relating to technical / electronic subjects should be maintained, if for no other reason than effective communication. Taken in context, it's probably not a big deal, but it sorta makes the writer appear to be either a novice, or someone trying to impose his own slang glossary on others.  Along a similar line, I hesistate to reply to questions written in "texting" format.

While I'm at it, I always thought our role as "helpers" was to answer questions, lately it seems we have to ask all the questions.  Getting information from inquirers is sometimes like pulling hen's teeth.  Also, I tend to ignore questions such as "My loco won't run, what's wrong?" I enjoy helping those who make an effort to help themselves, and not expect me to do all their homework.  ???

I recently wisecracked that when I first registered I had a lot of questions, but didn't like the answers either, now I have a few answers but don't understand the questions.

Of course I'm from the old school of thought: "When all else fails, RTFM !" :D

What say you all? (except PD, who already thinks I'm an old grouch)
I know what I wrote, I don't need a quote
Rule Number One: It's Our Railroad.  Rule Number Two: Refer to Rule Number One.

Jim Banner

Fifty years ago it was calling a "transistor radio" a "transistor."  That bugged me no end until I started carrying a transistors around in my pocket.  A CK722 I think it was.  Anyway, whenever somebody stated talking about his "transistor" and what it would do, I would pull out my transistor and start talking about what it could do.  I got the reputation of having a weird sense of humour. 

Today, whenever I hear someone talking about putting a "chip" in his engine, I wonder why one earth he would want to put a French fry in a locomotive.  I guess I still have a weird sense of humour.

But I guess it happens in all fields.
"Good morning sir.  May I help you?"
"Yes sir,  I understand.  You want me to put a "tranny" in your car.  Would that be a transmitter or a transvestite sir?"
"Oh, a transmission sir.   Why didn't you ask for that in the first place?"
Growing older is mandatory but growing up is optional.

pdlethbridge

Bob, I don't think your a grouch, you ARE a grouch :o

renniks

Jim,

There are french fries (pathetic gallic imitations) and there are CHIPS--and never the twain shall meet. And chips aint potato crisps either.

Regarding effective communication.   When somebody,often a 'newbie',asks for a source of certain items it is little use to be told --"see BVM,BWM or somesuch".

Looking at this Reply page,why is "hit alt+s" considered a shortcut to clicking on "Post" ????

Eric UK

Yampa Bob

I always thought "fish and chips" meant potato chips.  I prefer mac and cheddar.

"Save", "Submit", "Post" universal shortcut.

Gotta go to Denver again, I hear Caboose Hobbies calling.  :D  Another 8 hour round trip, glad petro is down.

az2rail

I would agree that when talking about the decoder, the word "decoder" should be used. Otherwise it could be a sound chip, lighting chip or anyother curuit board that is used to operate your train.

But lets face it. As long as there are two people talking, there will be two different words used to describe the same thing. It's like describing a switch, or is it a turnout?

Bruce
If your parents never had children, chances are you won't either.

SteamGene

Sometimes precise words are necessary.  In the army, radio operators are taught to never use the word "repeat" unless they are an artillery/mortar observer's radio operator. 
Gene
Chief Brass Hat
Virginia Tidewater and Piedmont Railroad
"Only coal fired steam locomotives"

Jhanecker2

I heartily agree with your comments regarding language utilization . What happened to public school education in the last thirty years ?  I realize "slang" may be considered "cool" in some instances, but considering all the terminology that has been added in the interval it becomes ever more necessary to have more than a vague familiarity with English in it's standard form.  If I used some of the language I hear bandied about when I was in grammar school , some nun would have cold cocked me and talked to my parents.

hotrainlover

I would like to see the "Cow" type that is Programmable ;D!!

Yampa Bob

I thought about this topic all day, and came to some conclusions that at least work for me.  I also realized I made an error in thinking.

Every trade, science or activity is, in fact, a "Culture".  Each culture has unique customs formed over many years by those involved.  Call these people "Locals" and consider this expression: "When in Rome, do as the Romans do". 

It follows then that Model Railroading is a culture, also with unigue customs and accepted terminology.  When I first started, I realized I needed to study and learn what is proper if I am to be accepted as a fellow modeler.  To paraphrase a famous quote: "Ask not what Model Railroading can do for me, what can I do for Model Railroading".  I don't need to be concerned about railroad terminology at all, millions before me will make sure the integrity of the hobby will not be compromised by newcomers or outsiders. 

At this point, I am still an "apprentice" railroader, and may not live long enough to earn the title of "master", except perhaps in the art of crafting.

Therein lies my original error. The term "decoder" is more germaine to the science of electronics, of which I do consider myself a master of sorts after 50 years of experience, including circuit design, Solar power and GPS.  Though I haven't programmed CVs beyond CV1, I can read a manual and quickly learn.

Therefore I am qualified to ensure that my field, electronics, will likewise not be compromised.  Before I state my conclusion in this regard, a short poem that most members will agree fits my attitude.

"I say what I mean, mean what I say,
But I try to say it in a very nice way."   (unless provoked of course)  :D

In regard to the term "Decoder", I will probably be a nit-picker, and continue to correct those who use "chip" as a definition.  To answer Lee's comment, I may even throw "cow chips", pre-programmed by the bovine to make a nice "splat".

Jim Banner

I thought "cow chips" came preprogrammed.  In this part of the world, we call them "cow pies" and they are programmed to make you say #@$&%%#!$@ when you step in them.

Sometimes we have to interpret what is being said by the context.  An example that springs to mind is the well known moniker "hotrainlover"  As we see his postings here on a model railroad board, we can assume that he is an HO Train Lover.  If we ran into him on a board about the plains of Spain, we might think he was a Hot Rain Lover.

Context is not so easy when we mix the terms "chip" with "decoder" or  "board" or "module" because we find chips, often several, on decoders, sound boards, and other electronics modules used in our locomotives and on our layouts.

I rarely comment on the use of "engine" when the writer means "locomotive" as the term "engine' is so entrenched in our language, both inside and outside the hobby.  However, like the misuse of "chip", the misuse of "engine" does serve to tell the difference between the newbies and the long timers.  I don't care how long or short a time a person has been in model railroading - if they have a question, they deserve an answer.  But the answer I am likely to give is tempered by my interpreting the question in light of what I suspect the person's previous knowledge of the hobby is.  I mean, there is no use of trying to explain how and why we add 32 to CV29 to enable four digit addressing if the person hasn't read his DCC manual yet.  So the fellow who asks why he cannot program his "decoder" for a long address is much more likely to get the how-and-why answer while he next fellow who asks a similar question about the "chip" he installed is more likely to be told to check his decoder manual to find if his decoder supports long addresses and to check his command station manual to learn how to program long addresses.

I wonder if the misuse of the term "chip" comes from the computer industry.  Some time back, a friend had a failure-to-boot problem with his computer.  The shop where he had purchased the computer told him that a chip had gone and it would cost $250 to replace it.  I had problems dealing with that.  I mean what chip in a computer is worth anywhere near that much, other than the CPU?  Turned out the shop was going to replace the mother board for that price.  Fair enough.  That would indeed have solved the problem.  But the "chip" that had failed was simply a quad comparitor I.C. used to monitor supply voltages and was worth less than a buck.  My friend was left thinking that the mother board was a "chip".  Whether the service salesman didn't know any better himself, or whether he referred to the mother board as a chip because customers would object to replacing an expensive mother board when only a single, low cost chip had gone bad, I don't know.

Growing older is mandatory but growing up is optional.

Yampa Bob

As long time ranchers, we say "ahhh" when stepping in it,  because it is green, which happens to be the color of money.  When I was a child, I would walk barefoot through the feedlot at night to retrieve cream from the well cooling tanks. easier to wash feet than clean boots. 

You haven't enjoyed all of life's experiences until you "preg check" a cow.  Of course we use a shoulder length rubber glove, but it is a "warming" experience.

Actually, success at raising cattle used to be cow chips, today it has more to do with computer chips.  By law, all market calves will be implanted with a tiny "chip", which identifies origin, read and registered by the packing plants.  The registration code will be included on the meat package at the store.

pdlethbridge

If model railroaders are a culture, then would N n2 be a cult?

pdlethbridge

Pearls are cultured but I wouldn't want to invite one to dinner.
Oil is refined but who wants it for a friend?

Yampa Bob

"Cult" is just a more focused devotion or passion, sometimes obsessive, within the broader culture.  Judging by how many cars I have, I must be obsessed.

I developed a bad case of the "DTs" browsing Caboose Hobbies today, but I stayed "on the wagon" and only bought a few decoders. My "support" consisted of a hefty ear tug by the CEO, especially when the clerk asked "will that be all?"