News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Phoenix 2k2 noise

Started by Gerryk, October 30, 2008, 10:15:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gerryk

There's an annoying background sound, more than just a hiss, in my newly installed Phoenix 2K2.  It's located in the tender of a Mogul 2-6-0.  Any thoughts?

Tom Lapointe

Could you describe the hiss a bit more?  Does it vary in sound or is it constant?  Is it high or low pitched?  Does it vary with the volume control setting?  (As in go away completely if the volume is turned all the way down?).

Depending on what sound file the 2K2 is programmed with (I have 3 of the 2K2 boards & 1 P5 installed in some of my Bachmann locos), it could actually be one of the Phoenix effects (air pumps, turbogenerator, blower noises come to mind).  If you have one of the Phoenix PC programmers, you can go in & "tweak" ;) (increase, decrease, change, or turn off entirely) some of the effects to your preference. :)

Tom

Gerryk

Yeah, I guess it's the turbogenerator you mention.  I don't see any mention of a PC programmer on the Phoenix site.  A female connection came with their kit, and I've installed it in the tender, but the Mogul 2-6-0 setup doesn't match the wiring sketch in their manual.  My first problem is to find homes for the 3 wires!

Superheater

There are two "background" sounds on the Phoenix that are more or less continuous.  There is a generator whine, which you'll hear spool up shortly after applying any power to the track.  There is also a mix of hissing, boiling, sputtering, and draft rumble that kind of floats in the background, almost imperceptibly, just like on the real thing you hear it when everything else is shut off.

The programmer is sold seperately from the system, and consists of a cable to connect the female plug you noticed to your serial port, and a CD with the software which is updatable from the Phoenix website.  The three wires of the programmer plug share some of the trigger terminals on the board.

You will find wiring diagrams and instructions on all of this at www.phoenixsound.com in the "Support" section.

John Fitch

Mark Oles

By the way,

If you have one of the centennial moguls, that wouldn't have a generator as delivered in 1876.  No electric on that locomotive.  I was surprised at how quiet a locomotive could be when I went to the B&O RR museum's steam days last year to see the William Mason steamed up.  She has no appliances, no steam brakes, no turbogenerator, no nothing!! Smelled like a campfire and sounded like a pot simmering.  In other words, she was quiet! 

The PC cable is made by Phoenix, so contact them directly to get one.

Gerryk

Thanks to all.  The "noise" is far less obnoxious when the volume's turned down.  Still, odd for it to be on an 1876 machine!