News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

What is it?

Started by SteamGene, March 18, 2007, 06:43:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

NelsOn-30

There are 8 in the photo so the loco is probably a red herring. Spouts for filling oil tank cars?

Nelson
Nelson

Notka Lake Logging & Navigation RR

Dr EMD

That is for channeling the smoke out of the locomotive to a central stack. It is to help control the smoke over Chicago.

Electro-Motive Historical Research
(Never employed by EMD at any time)

scottychaos

Quote from: Dr EMD on March 19, 2007, 10:13:21 PM
That is for channeling the smoke out of the locomotive to a central stack. It is to help control the smoke over Chicago.

*ding* we have a winner!
yes, those are PRR "smoke collectors"!
they would be moved over the stack, and suck the smoke away to a different location..

gotta love that Pennsy..

Scot

Alex V.

Never woulda guessed it!  That's wierd.
Alex - Owner/Operator
          Western Overland R.R.

SteamGene

I guess it's possible they are steam washers.  That would explain that strange rounded end and the configuration in pairs.   Like I said, on the Pennsy, anything non-standard is possible.
Gene
Chief Brass Hat
Virginia Tidewater and Piedmont Railroad
"Only coal fired steam locomotives"

scottychaos

Quote from: SteamGene on March 20, 2007, 09:11:18 AM
I guess it's possible they are steam washers.  That would explain that strange rounded end and the configuration in pairs.   Like I said, on the Pennsy, anything non-standard is possible.
Gene

Gene,
scroll up 3 messages!  ;)

Scot

Atlantic Central

Makes perfect sense since the PRR never got into the oil fired steam business to limit smoke like most other east coast and midwest railroads had to do in the cities.

Electrafication in the east eliminated smoke problems for the PRR in cites like Phily, Baltimore, DC and New York. But all the big cities in the industrial north east and upper mid west had anti smoke laws by the end of the thirties or so.

And we act like being concerned about the invironment is a new idea.

This is a major reason why many roads in these areas dieselized their passenger service first. Early on smoke laws where often relaxed in industrial areas and stricker down town where the passenger terminals where located.

The loco in the picture, and presumably the yard it is in, are primarily for passenger service.

Sheldon