News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

My Experience With A Smoke Unit

Started by ole, November 04, 2008, 12:25:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ole

Now I realize that a smoke unit is not favored by many, but I like smoke coming out of my engines; perhaps just trying to relive that childhood AF train set. I have been trying to improve the output of my USA Trains mighty moe 2 axle switcher. I was using a locally available 'Mega Steam' scented liquid smoke. The smoke output wasn't impressive and the 'lumber mill' smell was thin to me. I found a bottle of Bachmann Smoke Liquid laying around so I cleaned out the smoke unit and put in 20 drops of the B-man liquid and let it run. What a difference! Real smoke production! And since it was un-scented, I put in a drop of spruce pure essential oil. And now a spruce smell too boot! Probably it is not the smartest thing to put that oil in with the smoke liquid but it was only 5% and now I know which smoke liquid to use from now on. I would have never thought that there would be such a huge difference in smoke production from similiar viscosity liquids. Lee
Owyhee River & Western RR, a division of the C&S - Nevada

ERNIE PRR

Thanks for the info OLE, I'll give the B-man liquid smoke a try.
Ernie

jsmvmd

Dear OLE,

I, too have tried several smoke products.  For me, Bachmann's worked well.  Similar to Proto in my O gauge trains, better than LGB's. 

George Schreyer has a commentary on his website. Not sure if it has been updated.

A local chap  has a nice O gauge layout in his basement, uses lots of smoke in the steam engines, house on fire, etc. Gets pretty foggy there !  Very toxic stuff.  I run my smokers on the porch !

My Annie and Aristo Rogers produce a thin scant smoke, not realistic, but the kids like them.

George Schreyer and others have commented on the Seuthe replacement unit.  Has anyone tried it recently ?

Best Wishes,

Jack