News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

bachmann spectrum 4-8-2 turn radius

Started by jeff186, March 13, 2007, 11:53:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jeff186

I have built the "up-and-over in 4X6" layout from the Atlas book # 9. Will the Bachmann Spectrum 4-8-2 be able to negotiate the turns on this size layout. I am considering buying one to pull the 50' circus cars I have just bought. thanks

Atlantic Central

jef186,

The short answer is no. The Bachmann 4-8-2 (I am asuming you mean the USRA heavy, still listed in the catalog) requires 22" radius curves, and a bare minimum of #5 turnouts.

More reasonable standards for that loco would be 28" radius curves and #6 turnouts.

Sheldon

SteamGene

Fifty foot circus cars might be a bit overwhelming on a 4x6 layout, tool
Gene
Chief Brass Hat
Virginia Tidewater and Piedmont Railroad
"Only coal fired steam locomotives"

Stephen Warrington

Nothing smaller than 22" or your begging for trouble and don't even think it will go through a #4 turnout I have to keep mine parked on the main yard lead in my small 4 track yard because its to stiff to enter the yard.

Like the old pre Civil War yard at Vicksburg, MS 6 axle locomotives for years were banned from most yard tracks until KCS took over MidSouth and reworked alot of the old sidings and updated some of thatheavy 60 pound to the yard rail with 90 pound stuff.

Stephen

Nigel

Quote from: jeff186 on March 13, 2007, 11:53:37 AM
I have built the "up-and-over in 4X6" layout from the Atlas book # 9. Will the Bachmann Spectrum 4-8-2 be able to negotiate the turns on this size layout. I am considering buying one to pull the 50' circus cars I have just bought. thanks
`
Jeff;

This is the HO scale forum, sounds like you meant to post on the N scale forum.  I you did not, see the above responses.
Nigel
N&W 1950 - 1955

jeff186

Hi Nigel,
No, I'm talking ho. Thanks to everyone with the info. I'm new to the hobby.
Jeff