News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Need your help with HO-scale Trix PA units

Started by steveeusd, November 08, 2008, 01:41:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

steveeusd

Hello Everyone--

I have a set of tethered HO-scale Trix PA (A-A) units I bought back in May. I test-ran them for 30 minutes and noticed they ran fine, but were a bit on the noisy side (but not excessive). I heard or read somewhere this is normal and didn't give it much thought. I ran them again today for 40 minutes. Again, they ran well but demonstrated the same level of motor noise.

Here's where I need your help: Does anyone own these and experienced the same thing?

Thanks for your help.

Sincerely,

Steve Williams

Jim Banner

Why would you test run your locomotives with them tied in place?  The noise you heard may well have been the wheels grinding away the heads of the rails.
Growing older is mandatory but growing up is optional.

RAM

Jim I am sure what Steve meant by tethered toget is that they are coupled together and not tied in place.

Jim Banner

RAM, you are probably correct.  There are a number of words that are used differently in the USA than in English and this could well be one of them.  I would point out, however, that Steve did not use "together" (or "toget".)

Assuming the locomotives are coupled, then the noise could be the result of the two locomotive trying to run at different speeds.  Easiest way to check this is to uncouple them and see if they run at the same speed.  If they do, then we need to look elsewhere for the problem.  If not, then a complete lubrication of both locomotives is in order.

ta152h0

yeah, I remember the conversation about having a " loo in the back of a carriage ". Must add " tethered ' to the dictionary.  ;D

Jim Banner

Sorry, ta152h0, but Merriam-Webster, among others, already beat you to it.  A tether is defined as:
1  : something (as a rope or chain) by which an animal is fastened so that it can range only within a set radius.
'Tethered' is defined as 'held by a tether.'

One minor dictionary did define 'tethered together' as 'tied together by a tether' (i.e. by a chain or rope) so I suppose the locomotives could have been tied together if Steve had used the term 'tethered together' but that still would not have implied that they were coupled together.

Please do not take this as a criticism of Steve's misuse of the term 'tethered.'  Rather, take it for what it is - my explanation of why I thought Steve was testing his locomotives while they were tied in place.

Steve - we have not heard back from you whether or not lubrication solved the problem.

ta152h0

he is having too much fun reading this stuff he forgot the original posting.................... ;D ;D ;D ;D

Guilford Guy

The Marklin/Trix PA's are similar to the PCM ones, where they have an electrical connection between the locos.
Most of my Marklin Steamer's ran noisily, however this was remedied by buying a bottle of marklin lubricating oil, (I'm sure Labelle would work just as well) and applying a couple drops into the gearbox.
Alex

ta152h0

i pulled the MARKLIN track apart slightly to get the clickety-clack sound ....it worked good. ;D