News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

found a train set in closet

Started by oldmedic, November 09, 2008, 06:10:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

oldmedic

Hello,
   i am a complete rookie, so if any of my questions sound stupid, please forgive....  we were cleaning out a closet in my home today and came across a large train set in a box(not the original box)  The engine has a #9 on its side  and front with the tag stating is is a Bachmann Big Hauler R/c Reciever #90-0100-49. the set also includes a coal car, a flat car,a box car (without a top) and a caboose along with a bunch of track. and a remote control.... I did a search on products, but don't find this listed.... can anyone tell me what I have? looks like a nice looking train, but I am have no idea what to do with it...

Loco Bill Canelos

Hi, What you have is one of the original Bachmann Big Hauler radio Controlled Train Sets from around 1989.  They have not been made since about 1991.  The sets were made in two versions. one with engine #7 which was 27 Mhz and the other with Engine #9 which was 49Mhz.  These sets were first made by Bachmann and were sold mostly in big box stores like K-mart.   The radio control was minimal at best and the set was aimed at the young folks.  Large Scale model railroaders found it and bought them by the hundreds because of the low price and really nice engine. some repowered them others used them for display, or as a background piece on their railroad.  The sold at about $55 in 1989 and can still be found on ebay almost all the time.  They sell on Ebay with a low of $18 and a high of about $65, but about $31 average.  If you have no instructions the battery compartment is in the boiler. The back of the boiler comes off to insert the batteries.  The transmitter need a battery as well.  If you have all the parts, give it a try.  The box car without a top is called a gondola.  There  are no stupid questions, only questions!!

Have fun with your train!!!
Loco Bill,  Roundhouse Foreman
Colorado & Kansas Railway-Missouri Western Railway
Official Historian; Bachmann Large Scale
Colorado RR Museum-Brakeman-Engineer-Motorman-Trainman
There are no dumb or stupid questions, just questions!

oldmedic

thanks for the reply and the information!! guess i will get some batteries and fire that puppy up!!!  no, will probably see if i can sell it on ebay.... hope someone will enjoy it much more than i would.., but thanks for the info really appreciate it!!! oldmedic