Where to get traction tires or any other parts

Started by Philip Bailey, November 10, 2008, 05:07:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Philip Bailey

Would like to know where I may be able to purchase parts of Williams trains. Do I have to go through a dealer? Most dealers in my area don't handle Williams either the store is out of business or they don't carry Williams products.

3rail

Contact our service department.  The link is on the left side of this screen or

http://www.bachmanntrains.com/home-usa/service.php

Regards,

3rail

Len

Any word yet on when the upgrade motor trucks for dummy units will be available?

Len
If at first you don't succeed, throw it in the spare parts box.

3rail

The upgrade kits are typically the last items produced on the schedule since the components are needed for locomotives first.  They should be in stock by February.  Some styles are are still available at some dealers.  Which version do you need?

Regards,

3rail

NSthoroughbred

On the topic of traction tires:

My Williams locos have never required a traction tire replacement, and they have MANY more hours of use than locomotives I own which are made by the other manufacturers.  Whereas those "other manufacturers" units go through traction tires constantly.  I bought the Williams Genesis units the week they were released many years ago, and they still work hard pulling long passenger trains on the original tires.

The only time I bought replacement tires from Williams was to try them on another manufacturers loco, but they were a bit too narrow and moved around in the groove but stayed on and still work on that loco as well. 

I swear by the quality of Williams and reliability, and the traction tires are obviously of a better quality than the competitors.  I prefer to spend time running my trains, not repairing them, thus my love of Williams products.  I am not sure why the tires last on Williams better than the other brands, but keep it up Bachmann!   

CandO

Just yesterday I read a post, on OGR message board, that I found interesting. Several people commented about the success they had using silicone sealant in the traction wheel groove, instead of the rubber wheel.

Now they made sure to say - do not use silicone caulk from a home store because it will come off after running a while. Instead, you should use silicone sealant that you can get from an auto parts store.

I have never tried this. But, next time that I need to replace a rubber tire on one of my engines, I will try this out.

Apparently this lasts quite some time. Just let it dry overnight before running your train.

3rail

Thanks for the plug, NSthoroughbred. 

We are a sponsor of the Holiday Festival of trains at the B&O Station Musuem in Ellicott City MD.  The trains run 8 hours a day 5 days a week from the day after Thanksgiving until the last week in January.  We have diesels that have been used on that layout for nearly ten seasons of running.  We have never replaced a diesel traction tire!

Regards,

3rail

NSthoroughbred

3rail,

No problem.  I brag about Williams whenever I can.  And I am further impressed by hearing about the long running holiday layout and durability of traction tires in such heavy use.  My units may not get quite that much wear but they do run for hours several days a week here on my layout, for at least the last ten years or more.  I do keep my tracks clean, and do not over-oil locos.

In recent years I have pretty much decided to only add more Williams locos, fairly rare for me to add other manufacturers locomotives to my roster anymore.  Some of the features on other locos are certainly fun at times, but mostly I run my Williams for smooth reliable running and great looking locos.  I think all of us split up our purchases over the various munufacturers who all have something to offer.  For me though, Williams locos are populating my layout at about 60% now, while other brands total up to the remaining 40%.
Value for the dollar, quality paint and graphics, reliability, and no worries about the long range durability of the Williams locomotives and passenger cars are what attract this customer.