News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Swapping 4-8-4 Chassis

Started by Kelly, November 12, 2008, 09:43:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kelly

Will the newer split frame (clear box) chassis fit the older 4-8-4 body shell (white box) ? I have an Union Pacific silver and grey 4-8-4 that the gears have split. Bachmann no longer produces this paint scheme or parts and will not be replaced with the same under warranty. I wouild like to purchase a newer Loco and swap chassis's.

Thanks

James in FL

Hi Kelly

I no longer own the older one (there were several modifications throughout its production runs) that was in a train set, as I returned it for service several years later. It was indeed replaced with the "new" split frame version.

IIRC the shell is still the same one used since its introduction way back when.

A poster here with the handle "brokemoto" can confirm or refute this and hopefully will chime in.

The difference between the old and new versions is like night and day.

Call Bachmann and explain your situation. They are generally good about such things and may let you keep the old shell.

It's worth a try.

Good Luck.

GlennW

A call to Bachmann Service will answer your questions.

Chances are, if you send in the loco, they may even swap shells for you & return the extra one. You may want to get this fixed soon before it gets pushed into the Christmas rush.

Kelly

I contacted Bachmann and they will only replace the whole Loco. Thank you for your replies.