News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

PRAIRIE ENGINE

Started by 112040025, November 15, 2008, 04:27:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

IS THE PRAIRIE A GOOD ENGINGE FOR ME. WILL IT BRING ME ALOT OF SATASFACTION WHEN I'M RUNNING IT ON THE TRACK. I KNOW THAT IT SMOKES, BUT DOES IS HAVE A WORKING HEADLICHT. ALSO, HOW MANY CARS CAN IT PULL ON AVERAGE. ANY ADVICE WILL BE HELPFUL. ??? ???
what is the point of going fast. you are just going in circles!

Yampa Bob

Several of my friends have the Prairie and are very satisified. It does have a working headlight. Properly lubricated and maintained, it should give you many years of enjoyment.

The number of cars depends on how well the cars are tuned (metal wheels, journals reamed ,etc) The loco should pull 15-20 easy rolling cars with no problem.

http://www.caboosehobbies.com/catalog/product_info.php?manufacturers_id=&products_id=10262

You may find a better price, but Caboose Hobbies has a great service policy. They will also test run the loco before shipping if you so request.

Also get a bottle of Labelle 108 light oil and use it very sparingly.
I know what I wrote, I don't need a quote
Rule Number One: It's Our Railroad.  Rule Number Two: Refer to Rule Number One.

SteamGene

Assuming you mean the Bachmann Standard - if it's a new one, it should run well.   An old one should run poorly, if at all. Be advised it does not have an operating front coupler and is really a USRA 0-6-0 with added pony and trailing trucks.
Gene
Chief Brass Hat
Virginia Tidewater and Piedmont Railroad
"Only coal fired steam locomotives"

Santa Fe buff

The Prairie is a fairly good steamer. It delivers a lot of power, and yet is a good choice for a steam locomotive that isn't to small nor to large. If your looking into a steam locomotive for regular trains, shunting, and all that simple train work, the Prairie is a good worker. But if you'd like to keep it for awhile, you'll need to keep it in top condition, lubricated, and maintained. You can find them at all your favorite dealers that sell a lot of Bachmann Products:

http://www.trainworld.com/ -$49.99      http://www.wholesaletrains.com/ -$54.99    http://www.walthers.com/ -$69.98

Here's the schemes I found:

Union Pacific - Grey w/ Gold Lettering  Union Pacific Version

Baltimore & Ohio - Gray w/ Gold Lettering Baltimore & Ohio Version

New York Central - Black w/ White Lettering New York Central Version

Western Pacific - WP old logo w/ Large White No. Lettering Western Pacific Version

Road Name: Union Pacific®

Product Information
With smoke unit.

Bachmann Industries, Inc. is an official licensee of Union Pacific and is authorized to use trademarks owned and/or registered by Union Pacific. "Union Pacific" and the Union Pacific shield are registered trademarks, used under license. The names and heralds of Southern Pacific and Western Pacific are registered trademarks of Union Pacific, used under license.

Price: $95.00

Product Code: 51501

----------

Road Name: Baltimore & Ohio®

Product Information
With smoke unit.

Bachmann Industries, Inc. is an official licensee of CSX Corporation and is authorized to use trademarks owned and/or registered by CSX Corporation.

Product Code: 51511

----------

Road Name: New York Central®

Product Information
With smoke unit.

Bachmann Industries, Inc. is an official licensee of CSX Corporation and is authorized to use trademarks owned and/or registered by CSX Corporation.

Product Code: 51520

----------

Road Name: Western Pacific®

Product Information
With smoke unit.

Bachmann Industries, Inc. is an official licensee of Union Pacific and is authorized to use trademarks owned and/or registered by Union Pacific. "Union Pacific" and the Union Pacific shield are registered trademarks, used under license. The names and heralds of Southern Pacific and Western Pacific are registered trademarks of Union Pacific, used under license.

Price: $81.00

Product Code:

----------

I would simply say that the headlamp does operate, for it's standard on just about everything manufactured by Bachmann Industries. Since the "Prairie" locomotive is a 2-6-2, I'd say it will probably pull about 20+ cars. But I wouldn't push it over 35.

Sounds like a good buy medium-steam locomotive buy!
- Joshua Bauer

Daylight4449

Won't pull more than 3 wheighted passenger cars from athearn for me but will pull a string of ten freight.

rowdyjoe

Gene,
    What's the cut-off date for Old vs. New on these locos?  I have one in my sights at a local hobby store but, can't see a date of mfg. on the box.  It would be a perfect fit on my layout as a general work-horse.  I plan to convert it to DCC also.  Someone on another thread posted an excellent link to instructions on the conversion for this loco. 
     If it's an old one and doesn't run well, I guess I could always return it for repair under Bachman's excellent warranty and get a new verrsion?

Thanks,
RJ

ajp3751

I have one of the old ones from six years ago. it was decent until it broke. If it is in a hobyy shop it should be one of the newer releases. I am not sure of the cut-off-date for the generations but the newer one have been out for some time.

Frisco

The newer ones come in a blue box while the old ones came in a white box. Some of the ones in the white box are newer. If your hobby shop will test run it you should be able to tell.