News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

EZCommand switching and running trains

Started by jmbjr32, December 22, 2008, 12:16:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jmbjr32

I've programmed 2 #5 switches for a siding for remote activation.  Testing works fine.  However, when I run a loco, even momentarily the switches don't work.   :(
I press the stop button to flashing and again to solid and the switch flips.  I think may be cached.  Both switches work again until I run a loco.

Am I doing something wrong? or is there a bug in the software?

the Bach-man

Dear JM,
On EZ Command your switches are, in effect, locomotive#9. They will only operate when you push button 9, function, and the number of the switch.
Happy Holidays!
the Bach-man

jmbjr32

I understand the 9 function # to throw switches.  thanks.

I was testing out consisting when the problem occurs.  When I program the loco back to the original number all works fine again.  I've seen this with different loco combinations.

Has anyone seen this behavior?

Joe Satnik

Dear jmbjr32,

Are you exceeding the current capacity of the EZ-Command station?

Joe
If your loco is too heavy to lift, you'd better be able to ride in, on or behind it.

jmbjr32

I don't think so.  2 engines and 2 switches is the minimum I'm using to debug.

grumpy

Do the two engines have DCC and Sound. The EZCommand cannot handle 2 locos with DCC and sound
Don :(

jmbjr32

that's to bad about the sound. 

These are vanilla Bachmann SD-40s with the Bachmann chip. Nothing fancy.  and Bachmann HO #5 switches....   

I will test with a couple of Digitrax chips I have. 

lwmlwm44

Grumpy made a comment that the ez command control cannot handle 2 engines with dcc and sound.   I have 2 dcc engines both with sound and to my knowledge they are both working fine.   Have ran both of them at the same time and all functions seem to work ok.   Am I hearing the sound from only one of the engines or what.........can u explain further Grumpy.   Am new at the dcc but so far have been happy with it.

Both engines are running on the same address.   When I hit the horn it seems both engines are sounding their horns.   

Larry

grumpy

Let me clarify my comment . The engines will have to make up a consist . As you are running you will lose the sound of one or both of the engines.I am running Athern F7A s and the amperage draw from the two engines is more than the orignal EZ Command power supply could supply. Sound decoders draw quite a few amps.
Don ???

lwmlwm44

Will have to try actually running the 2 engines in context...........I was running them on the same address but not actually coupled together.
Will see what happens with the system then.   Also I have 2 dcc switches wired in and have not noticed any failure on their part when running the engines.........then again, I wasn't using the sound feature at the time.

My only problem so far is getting use to which buttons to push at what time to do the function I want.   Kind of like learning to ride a bike for the first time.    Takes a bit of practice to get it all down under pat so that it comes naturally.

Larry

jmbjr32

I tried out consisting with 2 digitrax decoders with no problems with the switches.  I added a bachmann decoder in an F-Unit. this works fine also with the switches.  It doesn't appear to be any power limitations.

Are there different bachmann decoders in the SD40s then the F?
thanks for your comments