News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

'Tis Only a Matter of Time...

Started by Santa Fe buff, November 16, 2008, 08:34:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Daylight4449

Passenger trains on 18 inch are fine with Athearn cars, especially their streamlined.

Guilford Guy

Athearn cars have Talgo mounted couplers, and did you ever notice that horrific gap that occurs between the 2 cars at a curve? Last time I checked you don't have to jump 10ft to get a breakfast or lunch...
Alex

Santa Fe buff

I have two Athearn cars, both Amtrak. One is a Louge Visa-Dome, the other is a simple U.S. mail car. But oddly, they're pretty close. On my 18" radii track, the inside conners are close together. Also, the coupler on these aren't like Talgos, but I might be wrong, perhaps I got some different couplers. But these are Athearn Ready-To-Roll cars. But due to the terrible coupling power of these cars, I'm buy some spring-loaded Kadees. They are so bad, they decouple on a perfectly measured and fit straight, even with aligned couplers... I can't wait until I get some Kadees. The box on the Louge Visa-Dome is so terrible, the coupler actually kept just popping off, therefore leaving the car, (Usually the last car), stalled out, unless on a hill! :o But I don't have any- yet. I went through 3 couplers because of that box, 1 got lost, 2 got crushed. By the way, I think they want to add exercise with everyday activities, it's a new Athearn Fit-Car- Except if you fall, I'm sure you'll be missing lunch/breakfast.

- Joshua Bauer

Conrail Quality

Quote from: Santa Fe buff on November 17, 2008, 10:54:39 PM
The freighters wait while Amtrak roll by.

That's not prototypical, unfortunately. It's always the opposite in real life.

Timothy
Timothy

Still waiting for an E33 in N-scale

Santa Fe buff

Oh well, seems like that out here. I aways see trains waiting in yards, mainlines, and other things, and move after the Amtrak rushes by...
- Joshua Bauer

RAM

Some railroads are better then others when it come to Amtrak.  I know the S.P. was real bad about making you wait until they got their trains by. 

Santa Fe buff

I'm glad Canadian National is more polite then!  ;)
- Joshua Bauer

Guilford Guy

You should see Guilford! Surprisingly the Downeaster has one of the best On Time Percentages.
Alex

Santa Fe buff

Really? Wow, cool, glad Guilford has such a good reputation!
- Joshua Bauer

SteamGene

Talgo is the mounting - on the truck - not the coupler. 
Gene
Chief Brass Hat
Virginia Tidewater and Piedmont Railroad
"Only coal fired steam locomotives"

pdlethbridge

GG, but the downeaster is no way near as fast as the Flying Yankee was

Santa Fe buff

Not many trains were faster then the Flying Yankee.
- Joshua Bauer

Guilford Guy

I know, but atleast it isn't delayed. I wonder if Amtrak could lease the F-Y on weekend runs in the summer! That would boost day tripper ridership! Maybe not, but it would be "Mad Chill Yo."
Alex

Santa Fe buff

Perhaps sometime in the future, it's currently undergoing a serious refurbishment.

http://www.flyingyankee.com/
- Joshua Bauer

Paul M.

Okay, on the subject of Amtrak being on time, here the Texas Eagle is on time fairly often. BNSF seems to be better at it than UP, but they're getting better...

-Paul
[
www.youtube.com/texaspacific