News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

switchback

Started by 112040025, November 18, 2008, 11:24:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

does anyone have any advice on building and operating a HO switchback. how long must each end of the siding be for a train. can a prairie enginge pull up a 5 car train on these switchbacks or do you need a shunting engine?
what is the point of going fast. you are just going in circles!

ebtnut

Switchbacks are usually used to gain elevation where there is no room to put in a turning loop and/or to avoid drilling a tunnel.  On logging and industrial lines, the grades on switchbacks could exceed 10%.  What I suggest doing is tacking down a couple of lengths of flex track on a 1 x 4 and see how much grade it takes before your loco can't pull the 5 cars without slipping.  The tail track(s) of the switchback need to be long enough accommodate the length of your train, with maybe a little extra so you don't run off the end.  For your 2-6-2, I am going to guess that a grade of about 3% (1" elevation gain in 36") is about the maximum  for those 5 cars.

Jim Banner

On my H0 home layout, I have a switchback on an industrial branch line.  The tail of the switch back is just long enough to accommodate a switcher and two forty foot cars.  This requires the operator to double or triple his train up and down the hill.  At 8% grade and 15" radius turns, he couldn't handle much more anyway.  If an operator starts getting bored with this, he gets a road switcher assigned to him.  This requires that he come within a couple of scale feet of the bumper before he can throw the switch.  By the time he gets good at that, somebody will "accidentally" drop a 50' car on the exchange track for him.  Switchbacks can be a lot of fun.
Growing older is mandatory but growing up is optional.