News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Old Shay lube....

Started by tac, November 22, 2008, 04:46:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tac

Just spent a pleasant half hour lubing my six-screw Shay - bought almost ten years ago from the Train Stop in San Diego.

To my amazement there is not the slightest trace of wear on the motor gears or the drive axle gears, or anywhere else for that matter.  Sure, I look after it, and take care to follow the lubrication instructions - after all, this htning has more working parts than the average large-scale model - three-truck shay excepted of course.

It usually runs around a track - either my teeny 75 footer in my backyard, or a demo track up at the high school on base, with a consist of eight or ten log cars, for at least a couple of hours a time.  It has so far accrued about 500 hours running time, I figure, as it is VERY popular among ex-pat Americans.

Just like the Climax and the Heisler, as a matter of fact.

Looking forward to running my three-truck Shay now.....even though it's dark and below zero here in my part of UK.  

Enjoy!

tac
www.ovgrs.org

Joe Satnik

Dear tac,

That would be below zero Celsius, not Fahrenheit, correct?

Joe 
If your loco is too heavy to lift, you'd better be able to ride in, on or behind it.

tac

Yessir - I live in UK where the Celsius scale is used.  I also live in Canada and Japan, where, again, the Celsius scale is used.

Please adjust your post accordingly.  ;)

Best

tac
www.ovgrs.org

zubi

Terry, glad to hear that your Shay works so well all these years. I had one of the first batch, probably one of the first 50 or so! After a couple of years it started disintegrating... standing on a shelf!!! I bought from Bachmann most of the parts which fell apart and sold the loco... I never regretted it!! And never bought another Bachmann product either... I am tempted by the new wagons, the K, the Mallet, but the memory of the Shay disaster still haunts me! Best wishes from Tokyo, Zubi PS when will you be in Tokyo? Let's pizza;-)!!