News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

vanderbilt tender?

Started by wobblinwheel, February 04, 2007, 12:43:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

wobblinwheel

Dear Mr. Bach-Man,
I have a Spectrum 2-8-0. I want to re-letter it for Union Pacific and install a Vanderbilt tender. Is the Bachmann part Number 89902 the one I want? Does it have the appropriate plug-ins for the wiring?

rogertra

Dunno what a 89902 is, should write the product description if you want the group to assist.  e.g.  "un-dec Vanderbilt oil tender".

Anyway, any tender will go behind any loco.

However, what you probably have to do is to remove the circuit board from the 2-8-0 tender and install it into whatever new tender you decide to use.

While tenders are swapable, sadly Bachmann in their wisdom decided to make the circuit boards and plugs different.

We, the users of this board, feel; that is because Bachmann management see the locos as "Toy Trains" and not as models and they did not even think that people would want to swap tenders on their "Toy Trains".

Hopefully, in furture production runs, Bachmann will standardise on one circuit board and one set of plugs so that all tender and all locos can be freely swapped.

Atlantic Central

wobblinwheel,

Yes that tender will work fine with the 2-8-0 with no wiring changes or problems.

SteamGene

Sorry,
'The only Vanderbilt or Hickens tender that will work with the Consolidation is the medium Vanderbilt, with the SP style hand rails.  The C&O 16V and Hickens oil tender for the heavy Mountain will need the circuit board swap. 
Gene
Chief Brass Hat
Virginia Tidewater and Piedmont Railroad
"Only coal fired steam locomotives"

Atlantic Central

Gene & wobblin,

The part number mentioned, 89902, is the medium vanderblit and it will work fine.

Sheldon

Paul M.

You still might want to swap the circuit boards to be safe.   :-\

-Paul
[
www.youtube.com/texaspacific

Atlantic Central

Paul,

I can assure you from personal experiance that it is the same circuit board.

Sheldon

Paul M.

Okay. I wasn't aware that any of the Bachmann tenders had the same board as a different type of  tender.

-Paul
[
www.youtube.com/texaspacific

SteamGene

The 2-8-0, the 4-8-2 light, and the "medium" Vanderbilt tenders can be swapped around with no swapping of curcuit boards.  Tender tracking is another issue with the Vanderbilt tender and the 4-8-2 light. 
The 4-8-2 heavy and the 2-6-6-2 can swap tenders all day long, but DON'T swap the identical large USRA tender of the 2-10-2 light with any others.
Gene
Chief Brass Hat

GS_Train

Hello all, I'm a newbie posting here and only been back with trains about a year so bear with me. I have the med. vandy that came with the UP 2-8-0 with dcc (#83607). It has the proper plugs and the decoder for what you are doing.  What I want to do is replace the existing decoder and install a DSD-B280LC for sound and the vandy is too small. Would a USRA long tender (#89831) work by changing the pcb and connections or would you experienced railroaders just go with the USRA medium tender (#89731)?

Gary

SteamGene

I think the large USRA tender is too big for the Consolidation.  Are you sure you can't get a sound decoder in the "medium" Vanderbilt?   Call Tony's Train Xchange and ask for an opinion there.
Gene
Chief Brass Hat

GS_Train

Gene - I will check with Tony's.  I have already purchased the DSD-B280LC, just need a little bit bigger tender that would be close to prototype. Thanks for the reply.
Regards
Gary