News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Short in Engine?

Started by zippykd, December 01, 2008, 05:36:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

zippykd

I have a North Pole Express Big Hauler that I have had for a few years.  I set it up this year and it ran fine for a few days.  When I tried to run a few days ago, the power light on the power supply/speed controller goes dim as soon as I put the engine on the track.  What would cause that?  How can I fix?  Thanks in advance for any help you can give.  I miss running the train!!!   :-\

Karen

Mike

Try turning the lead truck around. If it was accidentally reversed, it would cause a short.- Mike

zippykd

Thanks Mike.  I will give that a try.

Mike

Let us know how it turns out- MS

zippykd

I turned the Engine around and it ran briefly.  I have a street lamp that lights also, so we hooked the street light direct to the track connector for power and when we initially plug in the power, it lights for about 1 second, then it immediately fades.  If we disconnect the power from the speed control and plug it in again, the same results repeat.  Any ideas?

Thanks,
Karen

Joe Satnik

Dear Karen,

I assume that you are powering only the train, not other accessories besides, with your controller.   

I assume that your power pack is the 2 piece kind, wall-wart transformer plugged in to a speed/direction control box.

I'm guessing that there is a thermistor gone bad inside the controller box.  A thermistor does the job that circuit breakers use to do, that is, cut off the current in the case of a short or overload.  In this case the bad thermistor thinks that any normal or small current going through it is an overload. 

You could test this by connecting your lamp directly to the transformer output plug, one wire inside, the other wire outside the plug.  If it stays lit, your controller box is bad.   

Your controller may be under warranty, but if in the end you need buy a replacement, I have new ones to sell.

Hope this helps.

Sincerely,

Joe Satnik 

Edit: changed "transformer plug" to "transformer output plug"   
If your loco is too heavy to lift, you'd better be able to ride in, on or behind it.

zippykd

I tested a lamp and it did work with just the transformer.  I'm not sure if the speed controller is still under warranty, I will need to check again when I get home this evening.  Thank you so much for helping identify what the problem was!!! 

In case it isn't under warranty could you tell me how much the speed controllers are?

Karen

Joe Satnik

Dear Karen,

$27 shipping included (both pieces) to USA lower 48.

joebarbATwwtDOTnet

Joe   
If your loco is too heavy to lift, you'd better be able to ride in, on or behind it.